Thursday, March 17, 2016

Conclusion Jumping And Burden Bearing



It's Spring Break, one of the favorite times of the year for students and maybe even more for teachers. WCS has two groups of kids traveling during this week-long holiday. One group, under the auspices of our English department, is in England and the other is working with underprivileged children in Oklahoma City. My guess is that all of our youngsters will come back with a lifetime of memories and increased desire to see the world and do good, two goals not mutually exclusive. I really like our student body. We have some minor issues at times- they are kids- but major problems have been few and far behind. Praise the Lord and good parents!

The beginning of each new year is a fascinating time for me. I love to see the growth in our returning students in all facets of their lives; physically, intellectually socially, and most important, spiritually. (Sounds kind of like Luke 2:52, doesn't it?) I also love meeting all our newcomers, many of whom are international. My estimate is that we have about fifty from other countries, mostly from Asia but also from Tanzania, Lebanon, etc. Two of our new Asian high schoolers were inseparable when we commenced back in August. They looked very young but based on their lockers, I could tell they were in high school. Intuitively, I surmised they were related and BINGO....cousins. But even after only a few days, I witnessed something that irritated me. The boy carried the girl's books/school supplies, always tagging along behind. I quickly came to the conclusion that he was in danger of being late to class and falling behind in his studies just because she had him trained to do her bidding. What nerve! What nerve, indeed!


Of course, it didn't take too long to find out the truth. The young lady had surgery on her back over the summer and was not supposed to carry anything, apparently even books. In reality, her kinsman was simply doing what all of us should do; take care of our family. Paul famously wrote in Galatians 6:2 that we should, 
Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
I guess books and backpacks qualify as burdens, wouldn't you? Of course, I felt ashamed for assuming a situation was wrong when it was in fact, admirable. I'm pretty sure we have jumping to conclusions mastered to the level of Olympic greatness. What a failure on our part, especially mine. I've come to know her a little as we pass in the hall, often trying out my limited Vietnamese vocabulary and she kindly humors me. Today is the opening of the NCAA Men's basketball tournament and as inevitably happens, there were huge upsets. Unheralded UALR, or Little Rock as they now prefer, shocked heavyweight and heavy favorite Purdue. I read a quote from Trojan Coach Chris Beard, who said when talking about his underdog squad, every guy on this team has a story. You know, that's pretty much true for all of us. It might be smart for me to learn yours before I judge you....... or your cousin.

Applicable quote of the day:
Great heroes need great sorrows and burdens, or half their greatness goes unnoticed.

Peter S. Beagle

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: