Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Bedtime Blessings Chapter III


We worked on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 90+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Tonight's entries are all from young men and all are used with permission!

Dear Son, some days you might read this hating my guts while other days you might read this looking up to me, but I want you to know that I love you. I want you to strive to not only be like me, but become better than me physically, spiritually, and intellectually. No matter who you are,  you were made in His image. You are a king, and never forget that. The world needs you to have anything and dominion over this earth, as you are the one and only (First Name) Allen King. I love you and God loves you. -Samuel (junior)

Dear child, I will always love you through good times and bad. I will try my best to do more than any father can do and always be there for you. I don’t know what your name will be yet, but I promise it will be special. I will always protect you and guide you through life to be the best person you could be. Remember to keep God first and everything will be fine. -Jared (sophomore)

My dear child, I love you with my heart. I will do everything for you and your mom. You are my only treasure. Remember to be great because the world needs great people like you. Cherish the times that you have with the people you hold dear because no one lives forever. Remember to always believe in yourself when no one else does. I will always love you. - Love, Dad - Xzavier (junior)
My daughter: You are my pride and joy. You are my world. You are the reason I wake up. The world might be hard but I will be there. Your mother and I will be your support system. We will always be there. No matter what you do, we will be there. Your mother and I might fail you but in those times ,look to the Lord because he will never fail you. If you feel unloved, remember we love you! -Craig (junior)

My dear son, you’re unique. There are millions of people in this world, but there’s only one of you. God did not put you in this world to blend in. You are here to stand out. Standing out requires integrity, and I know that you will stay true to everyone, yourself, and most importantly, God. As you walk down the path of life, remember John 16:33, and you will surely make it. Just like God is always on your side, so am I.- Emmanuel (sophomore)

My son. Just know that I will always be here for you and support you. I am not perfect and I won't alwys be the fun-loving dad but I will give you my all in everything. Make sure that you pick your friends wisely, ones who will support you. Treat your girlfriend better than you treat yourself. Love your mom just as much as she loves you because she deserves it. If you choose to play a sport, make sure to go 100% every day and enjoy it- it dosn't last forever. If you have trouble with friends or classmates, remember how special you are to your parents and your family. Just know I love you and will give anything for you and your mother. Love, Dad- Micah R. (junior)

My dearest son: Just remember that you are a Guttenberger which means family comes first, right after God. You are the most special person in my life and even if I have to discipline you, it's because I love you. I know that you are going places in your life and I am going to support whatever it is you want to be. I am going to raise you right so that a lucky girl will have a respectable husband. I love you and will always strive to protect you. -Nic (junior)

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com



No comments: