Friday, April 10, 2015

The Young Men And Women In the Mirror 2015, Scene IV


We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I look in the mirror, I see a reflection of a young woman who is working hard to be successful, I see a girl who fears being judged by other people. I see a girl who has sacrificed so much to be where she is today. I see a girl who is afraid of rejection and being neglected. I see a girl who tries to have a close relationship with God and her faith. I see a girl who is working so hard in school but is not being recognized. Lastly, I see a girl who feels segregated from the rest of the world just lost in her thoughts. -N.


When I look in the mirror, I see someone who is confused. I see a young man who wants the privileges of an adult with the responsibilities of a child. I see someone striving for attention while trying to create space for himself. I see someone who has great expectations but low standards. I see someone who loves other people who unknowingly tends to push them away. I see someone who nees God's love yet runs from it. Most of all, I see a creation of God! -G.

When I look in the mirror, I see a pretty young lady who is very intelligent. I see a girl who wants to make a difference in the world but who somehow keeps getting defeated. My heart is full of love and I have many things to offer. I often let my past take me over. One thing I know is that God loves me and NOTICES me! In the end, I realize that I am beautiful inside and out, even though others try and take me down. -T.

When I look in the mirror, I see my only friend and my only enemy. I see a foreign man from a foreign world. I see a liar, fraud, and lazy child. I see the person hurt by my decisions in the past and the person whose decisions now will affect my future. I see the most attractive individual who makes me gag at his hideousness. I see an island of hope and a stoneface with a soft heart and molten core. I see the only person I have ever loved. -B.

When I look in the mirror, I see a young woman who is expected to fall short in life because one of the most important people in her life has said this a thousand times. I see a girl who is misunderstood by those who know her best. I also see a girl who is afraid to fail and afraid of not being forgiven. But I see someone who will always stand up for what she believes and refuse to back down. I see a girl who will succeed because of the grace of God. I see a strong young lady who still smiles in spite of everything she has been through. -J.

When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who is struggling to meet expectations. I see a young man who is kind and forgiving with times of stubbornness. I see a young man who makes mistakes and who cannot forget them. I also see a renewed young man who has a spirit is uplifted by his found relationship with God. -G.

Applicable quote of the day:
 "I'd rather be able to face myself in the bathroom mirror than be rich and famous.”
Ani Difranco 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com

E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: