Wednesday, April 08, 2015

The Young Men And Women In the Mirror 2015, Chapter III


We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I look in the mrror, I see a girl becoming  strong woman. I see a girl who has lied so much in her life that she now believes those lies are the truth. I see a girl who tries so hard to fit in and be the person everyone wants her to be. I see a girl fighting for people and things in her life that she might stop fighting for. I see a girl who trusts and opens up her heart to the wrong peole. I see a girl with many goals and dreams for her life but she is coming to the conclusion that dreams do not always come true. I also see a girl whose perspectives are changing AND for the better! -T.


When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who is happy with life. I see that he has a future for himself and whatever comes his way, he strong enough to get by it. I see a young man who truly works hard even when the work provided him is a challenge. I see a young man who has gotten rid of the past and  is starting over, to succeed in everything that goes on around him. -V.

When I look in the mirror, I see nothing. I try to understand why God put me on this earth. I focus on something deeper than my physical appearance; it is starting not to matter. Asking myself many questions about life and myself, I just stand there, telling myself that things will always get better but they don't. It's OK and I just accept my situation and move on. -J.

When I look in the mirror, I see a sunny boy who always smiles and is full of confidence. I can see and feel his great dreams and his will to accomplish them. I also see a bit of confusion in his eyes concerning his future. But the boy in the mirror will always smile and wave to me and tell me everything will be fine, that I can do anything as long as I keep striving for it. -K.

When I look in the mirror, I see a teenage girl struggling with her faith. She uses the excuse of being too busy or tired when asked why she missed church. I also see an athlete who can't seemingly lose her baby fat, who wishes she were as self-confident as everyone thinks she is. She prays someday that she can reach the unreachable expectations of her father who she hope will continue to love her through her mistakes. When I look in the mirror, I see the potential for greatness with the support of my family and the help of God! -F.


When I look in the mirror, I see a boy who just wants to be accepted, one who wants a second chance to show everyone who he really is. I see a young man who makes mistake after mistake and has to learn to own up to them. When I look in the mirror, I see the young man who is always criticized and always falls into the trap of the criticism. I see a boy who would rather be hated than liked because it's just easier that way. I see a young man who wants to show everyone who he really is! I see a boy who will become a great man, one who will work hard and live up to what God has created him to be. When I look in the mirror, I see a second chance to be proud of who I am and what I will become! -X.


Applicable quote of the day:
''Cowardice and courage are never without a measure of affectation. Nor is love. Feelings are never true. They play with their mirrors.''
Jean Baudrillard

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: