Monday, April 20, 2015

Acts Of Courage


Last week, I mentioned a site called mensteppingup.com in connection with a clip on Dietrich Bonhoeffer. On Friday, I showed my classes the clip below in which men were asked , "What is the most courageous thing you have ever done?" It is well worth the three minutes it takes to watch! Today, as a bonus question on my Gospels' quiz over Luke 22:39-71, I asked my students that same question. All are used by permission. I will post some of them for several nights. Here is what they wrote with boys' responses in blue and girls in pink:

I am afraid of heights and I went on a zip line!

The most courageous thing I have ever done is love and trust someone completely other than my family members.

The most courageous thing I've done is audition for a play.

The most courageous thing I have done is use CPR on my neighbor and save his life.

I lived by myself for three months when I was sixteen.

I went on a 90 degree roller coaster ride with my friends!

My most courageous act was moving away from my parents to receive a better education.

I jumped off  of a bridge!

I encouraged my friend not to give up studying to get into the university.

The most courageous thing I've ever done was drive to San Antonio with my friends.

I have stayed in the US without any relatives for three years.

I jumped on the BLOB at the freshman retreat!

I came to America by myself.

I stood up for myself to my mother and she realized she was wrong.

I told my friend's mom she was having unprotected sex..... and we are still good friends.

I feel I am courageous when I have a voice and use it for where I feel it is needed.

The most courageous thing I have done is go to my close friend's grave site for the first time ever by myself in five years since he died.

The most courageous thing I have done was to tell my parents that I wanted to quit swimming.

I confronted a bully.

The most courageous thing I have ever done was to stand up in front of a class and give a speech.

To watch the short clip this is based on, copy and paste the link below!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTNjZYIpXkM

Applicable quote of the day:
Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: