Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Young Men And Women In the Mirror 2015, Chapter II




We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I look in the mirror, I see a confused girl. On the outside, there's a smile on her face but on the inside, she is full of anger and sorrow. I also see a beautiful, talented girl who wants to explore the world but she does not know where to start. I see a girl who has been torn apart by family issues and trust issues. I see a girl who knows about God but who is not close to Him personally. I also see a shy timid girl who wants to be alone. I see her beautiful lips and eyes, her natural hair, and her love for everyone. -J.

When I look in the mirror, I see a guy who wishes he could see into the future. I see a guy who wishes he still didn't act like a boy and who desperately wants to reform himself. Then, I see an older guy, a man. He is tall and strong, with eyes he can turn dark or let shine. I see a family with him- three boys, one girl, and a beautiful woman. And then they all disappear and I see God smiling. -T.

When I look in the mirror, I see a pretty young girl, not perfect but good enough and perfect in the sight of God. I see a broken girl but I also see a renewed girl with so much power and strength beyond her imagination. I see a child of God and a lover of Jesus. I see greatness AND imperfections but that's OK because I a fine with who I am- I embrace my imperfections. I see lots of things ahead of me, a huge destiny. I see a brave, wise girl ready to be used by God to change the world even though she does not know what she's made of yet. -W. 

When I look in the mirror, I see the details of my face and life. I see the little things no one else would see or pay attention to. I constantly judge myself, wondering why I can't do things to the best of my ability. I question my decisions and the motives of my heart. I see someone who constantly needs to get his act together. -D.

When I look in the mirror, I see a girl who is winning the battle. I see all the knowledge she has obtained. I see the independence she has pushed for. I see the strength she has trained hard for. But mostly, I see the new found faith she has fallen in love with. I see a glowing child of God who wants to share her faith. I see me! -S.

When I look in the mirror, I see a confident young man who believes he can accomplish anything he puts his mind to. I see a young man who works hard for his future and can let go of his past. I see a guy who is sometimes selfish when it comes to others wants and needs but who can be very caring and loving in times of despair. He loves his brother and father to death and will do anything to satisfy them and keep them on this earth. -M.

When I look in the mirror, I see a boy who needs to try harder. I see someone who was held down by what other people thought of him . I see someone who can do so much more if he would just put effort into what he does. I see a guy who complete his goals if he would just put time into doing it. -J.

When I look in the mirror, I see a humble young woman striving for success in the game she loves. I see a quiet yet brilliant young lady with childlike qualities. I see thick skin because she has been through hardship. I see a girl at a small private school in Texas coming all the way from Queens, New York. I see a girl dedicating her life to school and basketball, spending her days in the gym, sacrificing everything to reach her dreams. But most importantly, I see a smart, brave and cherishing young woman who follows God's ways! -C.

Applicable quote of the day: 
"A man has only one escape from his old self: to see a different self in the mirror of some woman's eyes."
Clare Boothe Luce

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: