Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Young Men And Women In the Mirror 2015


We worked on one of my favorite assignments in our classes last week. Back in October, one of our written memory verses was James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discussed the meaning and I brought up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I told the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student was allowed complete confidentiality and I did not even read any that requested privacy. My students were very honest. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who wanted to share.  Some will choke you up. All are used by permission. Boys are in blue and girls are in pink.

When I look in the mirror, I see myself wondering who I am, where I'm going in life, how it will turn out. I wonder if I'm pretty. I look at my appearance but think of a deeper meaning. I try to act mature but am I really mature? My face has changed each and every day since I was little. God has made a beautiful creature to let me live His life through Him. -C.

When I look in the mirror, I see a deep soul. Calm, quiet, and thoughtful, he rarely sees eye to eye with his peers but when he speaks, he is heard. His discontent with rarely finding others like himself results in unfathomable appreciation when he does. He notices but doesn't draw attention; he listens and thinks but does not speak. An outsider accepted for one reason- the decency of the people around him. These people are the reason this instinctual introvert bothers to spend time with others; it's their mutual acceptance which causes the parties to appreciate the other. Although his life is not what he would like it to be, it's the ability people have to accept others, the simple beauties in life, and the venture toward a greater future that pushes him through each day and brings him peace of mind. -M.

When I look in the mirror, I see a strong willed girl searching for who she really is. I see a girl with big opportunities but too scared to take them. I see a girl who has anything and everything but who feels like something is missing. I see a girl with a free spirit, one who tries to see the good in everyone. Most of all, I see a girl who is imperfect with many flaws who tries to stay positive and always thank god for what she has. -M.


When I look in the mirror, I see a hard working young man who is doing all he can to make people proud of him but it never seems to be enough. I see a good person who loves to listen but who is never listened to. I see a boy willing to do anything to provide for his family. I see a boy who loves many but who is loved by few. I see a heart and eyes longing to be successful. I see a boy who has the thing he loves taken from him frequently. I see a lion hearted young man! -S.

When I look in the mirror, I see failure and disappointment. I see a girl giving up on herself and pushing everyone who loves her away. I see anger and hurt. I see a girl who doesn't like the way she looks and how she dresses. I see a girl wanting to love who can't figure out HOW to love. I see a girl curled up in a ball crying, with scars on her arms and embarrassment on her chest. I see a girl wanting to find happiness within herself but she just can't find it. I see a girl who has vowed to be the best for herself only and for nobody else. I see a girl who will be prosperous in the future. -F.

When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who has endured a lot for his age; a young man sometimes disappointed by his actions; a young man who has yet to capitalize on the opportunities God has set before him; a young man who is learning how to live life; a child of God who continues to sin knowing he is sinning; a young man trying to follow God the best he can; a young man who trusts the wrong people and severely struggles with trust; a young man who knows where he needs to be while doing the bare minimum trying to get there; a young man who has yet to realize that you cannot pour your heart and soul into everyone; a young man who is very naive; a young man who struggles with discipline; a young man who loves his family but loves his God most of all. -T.

Applicable quote of the day:
"A beautiful woman should break her mirror early."
Baltasar Gracian 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1 

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: