Saturday, November 15, 2014

Bedtime Blessings Night VI

(Dad Scott, Dave, Mom, and me at the Hawley grandparents' home in Michigan!)
We worked on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 90+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless His chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, all are used with permission. Tonight, we have a mixture of juniors/seniors and eighth grade blessings.

Son: I love you always, have faith in yourself, and stay strong no matter what happens to you. Me and your mom are here to support you but not to change you. Be responsible for every choice you make and be the best guy you know you can achieve. Everyday is a new start. Good night. (Kirk Shao)

You're my baby and I'm your mommy. You're my beginning and my end. I’m all around you when all the world turns and walks away. You're my sunshine on a cloudy day. You're the rain that takes my blues away. You can always count on me because I'm your mommy and I'll always LOVE you. (Steph Huwyler)

Dear Son: You're a blessing- don't let anybody tell you different. You will be the best at whatever you do. Your mom and I will always be here for you for anything. You are going to be a better father and son than me. Remember what your struggles of today are for. I won't stop until you reach the top and have everything you need. Pops loves you no matter how mad I get. I want the best for you and the rest of our family. Always remember God comes first and you won't fail. (Seye Egbejimi)

Do not think there is anything you cannot do. Don’t think you are worthless. To me, you are more valuable than anything. Do not fret over failures. If you fail, do not be afraid to come to me so I can lift you up again no matter how many times it takes before you succeed. I’ll always be here for you when you’re at your highest as well as when you’re at your lowest. (Justin Watkins)

My son, I want you to know something. I want you to study hard, think very good, and remember well. I want you to speak Chinese- I will teach you Chinese. I want you to be kind, friendly to everybody, and remember that many people are nice. And you need to love your parents, because we love you. You will be the best thing in my life. Your Mother (Euphe Wu)

My dear little child: I will always love your sweet little self. I will never ever lie to you about me. I will teach you the lessons that my parents taught me, and to do them better. Your mother will always provide the same amount of love as I will; we will set an example of God’s love as our love. My sweet little child, you are the most treasured belonging your parents have. I love you too much and you will be remembered mostly by your grandparents, God, and your parents because they have taught you the best. Little one, read your Bible and praise Jesus because he has forgiven your sins and you shall give Him a chance with you. I love you! Goodnight my beloved. You are in my blood, I am your blood. (Joshua Laurent)

Dear son: I will always be there for you, in good times and bad times. Whenever you mess up, just know, I will correct you, but I still love you. You should always strive to be the best you can be. Always follow your dreams and never be ashamed about God. Your mother and I will always listen to what you have to say and we will always support you and your dreams throughout life. I will always love you, and you can believe that. Love, Dad (Chancellor Dickson II)

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: