Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Bedtime Blessings Chapter IV


(Christmas in Brooklyn! I am proclaiming the Good News and Dave, in matching cuffs and shirt, is chapped about something! Mom and Dad are all smiles.)
We worked on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 90+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, all are used with permission, and all tonight are from my sixth period Gospels class.

My light in the darkness, my inspiration to do good. Let no one get to you and let no one bring you down. For you are exactly who you are supposed to be and no one can ever change that. Go through your life knowing that I love you and will always love you. Your Dad (Ibe Montonya)

My dear son: I love you with all of my heart. I know that you will be successful in whatever path you find yourself on. I know you will make your fair share of mistakes as I have, but it is okay. Out God is forgiving and full of grace. Trust in Him and everything you desire can be met. In all your struggles know that I have overcome them and you will, too. I love you. Father (Travis Hicks)
                                                                     
Hello my dear child! Sleep well and dream big. I love you so much, just like God loves all of us. He protects you, loves you, and will never leave you. I hope you live out your dreams and talents that God blesses you with and use them for His ability. Mommy and Daddy, too, will love you so much, always remember that. No matter what people think of you or what they say about you, always know that God created you special and worthy! (Mallory Davis)

My dearest angel: I am thankful that God has blessed me to have you in my life, and I love you with all my heart. The Lord will always be there for you and guide you through everyday. Be thankful that he gives you another day and never take a second for granted. I hope that you trust in him and even in hard times never give up your faith in Him. Although advice is sometimes hard to take, please listen to this: As long as you believe and follow God, He will always bless and give you the promise of eternal life. I will love you forever. (Alexander Borgstedte)

My dear, I hope you know how much you're loved. You are so beautiful- don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is never a day that goes by that I don’t thank God for giving me you, and there is never a day where you don't make me proud. Keep working hard and continue to stand up for your beliefs. Let God lead the path for you when you feel lost or astray. You deserve the world. Never settle for anything because you deserve the best. Your father and I will always be there for you until the end of time. One day you'll be a beautiful young woman and find a man you'll fall in love with. He will treat you like Gold and treat you like the beautiful Queen that you are. I love you sweetie. I'll see you soon. Momma (Marie Bailey)
                                                                                    
Dear Penny: Continue to give Daddy joy. Continue to work hard in grades and athletics. Me and Mommy will be fine as you go off to college. You have been a blessing in our lives. I have learned things from you, just as you have learned things from me. Keep Daddy proud and remember, God first. I LOVE YOU. Love, Daddy  (Marlin Davis)

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: