Thursday, October 30, 2014

Bedtime Blessings Chapter III

(Dad, Grandma Hawley, Mom, Dave, and me in Michigan. You just don't see kids rocking sweet hats like that anymore!)

We worked on one of my favorite memory verses in all five classes last week. All of my 90+ students wrote The Blessing Of Aaron for a grade as a memory verse and repeated it on their test. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how our folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. The next several nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. Boys are in blue, girls in pink, all are used with permission........... and all tonight are eighth graders!


My dear beloved son; As you grow up and become a man, always remember God because as you grow, you I don't want you to grow up just a man. I want you to grow up as a Godly man. A Godly man knows how to get through struggles without letting struggles take him down. I want you to be the best man you can be and do the best in everything that you do. I want you to make me proud of you in everything and I want you to take the Dixon last name and make good of it. Everything that I’m telling you, I want you to tell your kid or kids. I love you no matter what and I love you unconditionally, son. Be the best you can be.
Love, Dad (Dylan Dixon)

My sweet darling; Never give up. Keep running towards your dreams and goals. If you fall, I will catch you, and when you are back on your feet, keep running. You may get tired and want to sit down, but you will one day realize when you have reached your goals and lived your dreams, that every step you took in the marathon of your life brought you to where you will be. Never give up. I love you.  Love, Mom  (Ariana Nelson)

My child, never forget the blood we had. The curse of want is the curse of life. God made us not want things we don't have. We earn what we deserve and keep what we have. Never throw away something we earn. Life is not a tool; live it and never regret for if the world hates you, your father will always love you. (Mason Reach)

Dear Aubrey,
 I wish the best for you. I love so much. I hope that one day you take this letter and cherish it. Remember that have many talents not many people have. You are brilliant at tennis, very creative, lovable, sweet, providential, and beautiful. The one thing I never want you to have is jealousy.  You shouldn't want it either. Jealousy can lead to many things: hatred, wanting to do bad things to others, and much more. I love you! Stay Golden.
Love,Mommy (Blake Lanier)

Hey champ! Soon you will take my history and make it your fantastic future. God has guided me and led me to this moment, this night, this second telling you the great things you will be in twenty years. I have a long way to go guiding and teaching you until I'm done. You have to not only believe, but put it in your mind forever. Then one day, you will have a very lucky life and wife. Sweet dreams! Dad (Kaine Lopez)
  
My dear child,
             I want you to know that God is your father and He will always be by your side to guide you. When you ever need a friend in times of troubles, you can always come talk to me about it. I will always be by your side in times of happiness and in sadness. Your father and I love you so much because we have been blessed with an amazing child. If you have dreams, always try to achieve them! I will be there to support you.
I love you, Mom (Sydney Wyatt)

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: