Thursday, July 31, 2014

You can do more! (Joe Widick)

Once again, my entry is written by my good friend, Joe Widick of Lebanon, Tennessee! Please keep me in prayers as Lord willing, I am on my way back home!
The discussion between Steve and John in 1983 must have been a very intense meeting.  When you need something from someone you must be bold in what it is that you say and do.  That is exactly what Steve Jobs of Apple computer fame did when he approached John Sculley the then president of Pepsi-Cola.  The question that Steve asked must have rattled the mind of John.  The question:  “John do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water, or do you want a chance to change the world?”  I imagine that at that time John Sculley lived a rather comfortable life leading the Pepsi– Cola Company.  Steve Jobs made it sound like he was not really making a huge difference in the world.  Steve also knew that for Apple computer to make its mark on the computer world, it needed the financial backing of the giant cola producing company.  




On one occasion Jesus issued a strong challenge to three fishermen as they tended their nets.  The command from Mark 1:17 was “Follow Me!”  In my mind these three fishermen worked hard to provide for themselves and their families.  Now they were being told to follow a relatively unknown rabbi.  Guess what?  The did, and with a handful of other ordinary men they changed the world.  On the Day of Pentecost the promised Holy Spirit began a new work through them, and three thousand people were saved according to Acts 2.  That was just the beginning of great things.  Eventually their critics would charge them with turning the world “upside down” (Acts 17:6).  Think about it!  With simply two words of challenge the world was made a better place.  Our world is once again wrong-side up and right-side down, living by principles opposed to our Lord’s teachings.  We find ourselves at a cross roads where we can either follow the world’s dead-end philosophies, or we can accept Jesus’ challenge to bring change to the world.  I think it would be good for each of us to evaluate where we are in our Christian walk.  Is it time for us to get serious about doing God’s will?  Have I grown comfortable allowing others to serve while I remain a spectator?  Have I forgotten what it is that Jesus has done for me?  The apostle Paul tells us; “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves.  Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?”  (II Corinthians 13:5).  I don’t know about you; that is one test I do not want to fail.  It seems that if I don’t want to fail the test of my spiritual life, I need to determine to “follow Jesus.”  I challenge each of us to serve God by praying, giving and telling others about the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.  One day that King is going to return, am I going to be ready?  Will I have accepted the challenges?  It seems that a disciple is known not for what he gives up, but for what he takes up.   

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: