Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I AM.......Episode V


My classes just finished studying the seven I AM statements Jesus made in the Gospel of John. (Recently, Karen Long, my fellow WCS faculty member, noted that in John 10:36, Jesus reminded the leaders that He had stated, "I am the Son of God.") If you aren't familiar with them, here they are!
I am the bread of life.
I am the true vine.
I am the good shepherd.
I am the gate for the sheep.
I am the light of the world.
I am the resurrection and the life.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

I gave my students the assignment of coming up with their own I AM statements which would define them. Over several nights, I will post some of them. They are brutally honest and all are used with permission, boys in blue and girls in pink.

I am the girl who loves love.
I am the girl who cries once a week.
I am the girl who would rather have married parents than money.

I am the girl who wants a real relationship.
I am a boy who is a warrior inside.
I am the boy who grew up without a father.

I am the boy who uses sports as life.
I am the boy who hurts inside.

I am the girl who is easily broken.

I am the girl who wants to walk away.
I am the girl who doesn't appreciate what she has.
I am the girl afraid life is ending and she hasn't made anyone happy.

I am the girl who is afraid to regret the choices she makes now when she's older.
I am the girl who thought she wasn't good enough for sports.
I am the girl who regrets she hurt him.
I am the girl ashamed of her body.
I am the boy who is considered stupid.
I am the boy who loves only baseball,
I am the boy who needs a break.
I am the girl who is the stupid blonde.
I am the girl no guy will ever like.
I am the girl who gets along better with animals than with people.
I am the girl who is not the best at anything.
I am the girl with everything she could ever want yet is not happy.
I am the girl people use.

I am the boy who wants a relationship with his family.
I am the boy who tries to act tough.
I am the boy who is different on the inside.
I am a boy ready to go to college.
I am a boy who tries to talk to Jesus.
I am a boy who is smart but not applying it to school work.
I am a boy who appreciates the love of his parents.

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: