Monday, June 11, 2018

Prayer And A Little Girl


There are things I don't understand about life and death. This is not about those things. It's about something I heard a man in a hospital say. It's from December 13, 2013.

I'm sure many of you have been following the tragic case of a young girl in California. Thirteen year old Jahi McMath underwent a tonsillectomy three weeks ago and due to complications from the surgery, went into cardiac arrest and was declared brain dead several days later. What has ensued is a legal battle between her family and the hospital on whether to keep her on life support. I have no idea of the legal issues or much of the specifics of the case. But as I rotated from one station to the next this afternoon as I lifted weights, I saw a bit of a television news segment on the story. I was struck by a statement made by a spokesman for the hospital, struck so much I got a piece of paper and wrote down his words. This is what he said:
"There is no amount of prayer that can bring her back."
I don't think I heard what he said out of context. His belief, apparently, is that the girl is beyond any hope. I have no idea of the gentleman's belief system but I have to take issue with his brief statement which may well have been off the cuff and in response to a question. Medically speaking, he might be absolutely correct. He likely was just expressing the graveness of the situation. But the scriptures are replete with statements/questions like Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37) and Is anything too hard for the Lord? (Genesis 18:14) and Is the Lord's arm too short? (Numbers 11:23) I know the hospital and its staff are in a difficult position. I also know it's never my job to dictate what our God can or cannot do or when He will or will not act. It's my responsibility to pray. I always sign off with Luke 18:1, a verse my students touch when they leave my classroom daily. This is what it says:
"Then Jesus told His disciples a parable to show them they should always pray and not give up." We have our orders.


Applicable quote of the day:
"We must begin to believe that God, in the mystery of prayer, has entrusted us with a force that can move the Heavenly world, and can bring its power down to earth." Andrew Murray

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com



No comments: