Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Grave Concerns

Pictured above are my cousins Emma and Walker and me during our 2015 family reunion in the cemetery mentioned below.

This may be a surprise to some of you but I am a property owner of some note. Read the following from April 11, 2009 for a bit more clarity!

Last week, I became a new man of sorts. As of Saturday, April 4, I am a land owner. It's not much in terms of square footage but it's now part of my portfolio. On Saturday, I obtained a burial plot from my Uncle Bill. It's not just any land. It's in the New Corinth Cemetery, on a hillside several miles down the road from Nashville, Arkansas. My folks are buried there; so are my Chesshir grandparents. In fact, many of my relatives are buried on that hilltop graveyard. If there is hallowed ground on my Mom's side of the family, it's this tract of land. My ancestors worshipped in the church building which once sat there, the same small sanctuary where my parents repeated their vows of marriage. I looked it up on Google Earth and you can get a great view from the satellite image. Intellectually, I know that the souls and spirits of my relatives are not there but there is still comfort in common ground for our family. It was important to the Jewish patriarchs. Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca, Jacob, and Leah were all buried in the same place, the Cave at Machpelah in Hebron. Originally, I had planned to be buried behind the baseball field at Georgia Christian School. (If curious, go to August 30, 2008 in the archives, the entry entitled, Chuck.) But after watching the funerals of my parents and kin, I decided I want my remains buried near theirs. This morning, as I read Mom's One Year Bible, I saw where she had underlined Deuteronomy 34:6 from the entry for April 10. (OK, I admit I was one day behind.)
" He (God) buried him (Moses) in Moab, in the valley opposite Beth Peor, but to this day no one knows where his grave is."
We find in the book of Jude that Satan and the archangel Michael argued over the body of Moses but still no clues to the resting place of the deliverer of Israel. Google Earth won't help you find the grave of Moses should you be curious but it can help you locate mine. There is only one thing left to be determined: move in day. I'll keep you posted!

Applicable quote of the day:
"Show me your cemeteries, and I will tell you what kind of people you have."
Benjamin Franklin


God bless,
Steve

Luke 18:1
http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Family fun said...

Don't be in too big of a hurry to move in to that newly acquired property!