Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Small Print (Joe Widick)

Still another terrific entry from the one and only Joe Widick. The topic is close to my heart- cell phones! Thanks for your prayers as I close my journey to can Tho in several days!
The last time I purchased a cell phone, it came with the needed accessories as well as a seventy page booklet that talked about how you could most effectively use your phone.  Since I am technology challenged I was delighted to know there was a booklet that I could use as I began using my phone.  At this point I need to add one bit of information.  I know that I am getting older and with age sometimes your eyesight begins to get worse.  I opened the booklet and in the brightest light with my glasses on I could not see the fine print of the instruction booklet.  For those of you who know about fonts, this article is in ten point type.  The booklet must have be in 1 point type.  I was now between the proverbial rock and a hard place.  I could find a magnifying glass or an eight year old to tell me how to use the phone. 

I recently read that a university professor of graphic communication tells his students that companies really don’t want you read the fine print, whether it be in the form of an instruction booklet or the fine points of a contract.  What a shame!


I believe there is a vivid contrast with the Lord and his desire to communicate with us.  The Lord is always seeking to communicate with His people in clear and compelling ways with no attempt to confuse or deceive.  When Moses spoke to the Israelites just before they were to enter into the Promised Land, he said, “For this commandment which I command you today is not too mysterious for you, nor is it far off...I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live” (Deuteronomy 30:11 and 19).  Moses told them as he tells you and I, that what God has to say is important information and we need to understand it.  Why make it where we can not understand the matters we need to know.  Obviously God’s word is written in such a way as to be clear and concise.  When Moses said “I have set before you,” it meant that they should be able discern the difference not left to wonder what it means.  The Lord wants us to understand His plan and purpose clearly, so that we may love, obey and cling to Him—for after all He is our “life and the length of our days” (Deuteronomy 30:20).  That becomes plain to see as we journey through life.  The reality of the matter is there is no fine print in God’s communication with us.  We need to follow his counsel as completely as possible.  God would not benefit by making his word where we could not understand it.  

God bless.
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: