Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mrs. Bowen (Joe Widick)

Tonight, Joe Widick reminds us of lessons we learn in high school. I wish I had learned more in my typing class! Thanks for all of your prayers on my behalf while I am in Asia!
I believe I was in the tenth grade when I wound up in a typing class.  Mrs. Bowen was the teacher and to me she looked as ancient as the manual typewriters I learned to type on.  For those who read this column and have never experienced the joys of typing on a manual typewriter, you don’t know what you have missed!  There was a lot of pounding, a lot of getting keys untangled.  I hoped that I never made a mistake, because correcting mistakes was an ordeal.  I can still hear Mrs. Bowen yelling at me about getting the “erasure crumbs” in the typewriter.  Finding the home keys before you started was the one thing that was constantly put into my mind.  If you start at the right place you are less likely to make mistakes.  If by chance you put your fingers on the wrong key at the start, any and everything you type will be nothing but gibberish. 

It seems to me that if we get off to a good start, there is less opportunity for us to go in the wrong direction.  It is not a fool proof plan, but it does lower the chances of error.  When I think of home, I think of those things that are good and pleasant not evil and harsh.  I think of guidance and direction that was placed into my life, not do as you please and go wherever you want to go.  I think of being loved and nurtured not being abused and misguided.  When it came time for me to establish my own home, I wanted to do all I could to make certain our children had the same environment.  On do not know what my parents thinking was, but I do know that Elaine and I wanted to make certain our children were on the right course and what better place to get started than at home.  It is at home where values are given.  It is at home where we learn how to deal with disappointment that comes.  It is in the home where we experience learning about Jesus and His church.  Would that I could challenge each parent of young children to cherish time at home.  To make special moment’s memorable moments that will go with your children a lifetime.  Take time to listen to what your children have to say and make time to be a part of their lives. 

It is so easy to go astray in our world today.  The Israelites drifted away from the values of home as well as the teachings of God.  They found themselves no longer at home. In Psalms 137:1 the writer shares this lament; “By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion.”  They missed the beauty, value and safety of home.  Long ago a poet penned these familiar words; “Be it ever so humble, there is no place like home.”  Today at the age of 65 I look back and can only echo the very same sentiment.  

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: