Monday, July 30, 2012

Star Light Star Bright (Joe Widick)

Good evening! My trip to Vietnam is almost history and I can't wait to tell you about it! Tonight's entry is the final installment from my former colleague/boss/elder/friend/brother in Christ, Joe Widick of Lebanon, Tennessee. Joe often fills in for me while I am out of the country! Keep me in your prayers- I should be back home tomorrow!

In the 1940 classic Pinocchio Walt Disney used the classic lines from an ancient nursery rhyme. I know you remember the lines and have possibly repeated them as a child as you hopefully made a wish.

Star light, star bright, First Star I see tonight.  Wish I may wish I might have the wish I wish tonight

You and I are grown up now!  The innocent wish of a child has been replaced by the reality that life at best seems complicated.  One turns in this direction or that for guidance, but seemingly we many times forget to look to our God for needed guidance.  Our God is great and powerful.  Some night when you’re away from the city lights, “lift up your eyes on high” (Isaiah 40:26).  There in the heavens you’ll see a luminous band of stars stretching from horizon to horizon—scientist call it our galaxy. 

It has been said that if you have good eyes, you can see about 5,000 stars, according to astronomer Simon Driver.  He goes on to tell us there are far more that you and I cannot see with the naked eye.  In 1995, the Hubble Deep Field Study space probe concluded that there are billions of galaxies, each containing billions of stars.  By one estimate, there are more than ten stars in the universe for every grain of sand on the earth.  It is hard for me to imagine such numbers and magnitude.  Then I can remember back to God’s word long ago and remember that each night, without fail, God “brings out their host by number; ...by the greatness of His might…, not one is missing” Isaiah 40:26. 

When I reflect on passages like this it brings comfort to me.  My God knows what is going on in my world because He makes certain that each night the stars are brought out.  I am convinced that he knows “those who are His” (II Timothy 2:19).  If he can bring out the incalculable hosts of heaven each night one by one, He can bring you into His light.  He can offer you the peace of mind that you need.  He can give you the strength to deal with challenges that you face on a daily basis.  He is able to give you guidance in the storms of life and lift you above hustle and bustle of the world.  I believe that we can see the power of God’s creation; we can feel the power of His love all around us. 
Take a moment tonight after you read this article and look into the heavens and think for just a moment that God has called these stars out tonight.  Rejoice!  And again I say Rejoice!  Why?  Because we know this means that God cares for you and I.  

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: