Sunday, July 29, 2012

Only in Lebanon! (Joe Widick)

Good evening! My trip to Vietnam is almost history and I can't wait to tell you about it! Tonight's entry is again from my former colleague/boss/elder/friend/brother in Christ, Joe Widick of Lebanon, Tennessee. Joe often fills in for me while I am out of the country! Keep me in your prayers!

Tricia, Mary Margaret (my baby sister) and I have been overwhelmed with all the kindness shown us in the loss of our father.  I am still getting 4-5 cards each day from Maple Hill family who have expressed there concern.  It has been a rich blessing and has helped to reduce the pain.  I feel compelled to share with you one of many events that have been so very special to me during this time. 

It was Tuesday night, the night of visitation for my father.  The line was long, the friends were many.  I looked up and there was one of my doctors who had recently removed some cancer cells from my nose. We hugged and he expressed his condolences.  Then he asked if we could go back in an empty room.  The brief look he had of me while he was in line brought concern about the possibility of an infection. He told me he was going to go write a prescription for me and I could get it that night.  In a world where it seems that more and more people care less about others, I had a most unique experience.  Someone cared about me.  I know that in our history there was a time when doctors would see you at home.  Never though have I heard of a doctor making a funeral home call.  The entire event probably would not happen in the larger cities.  A week ago Monday my sisters and I made all the needed arrangements for our father’s funeral.  Everywhere we went someone knew Tricia and I.  They asked about our father, and how we were doing.  There were expressions of concern for us.  Mary Margaret lives in Brentwood.  She was completely amazed.  She said if we were doing this in Brentwood, we would simply be another customer. 

I have seen the wisdom behind the words of the apostle Paul when he wrote; “Be kind and compassionate to one another”  (Colossians 4:32).  Because of your kindness and compassion towards me, I have been able move forward.  Kindness is described as an active desire to recognize and meet the needs of others; a sincere desire for the happiness of others.   I miss my daddy, but have been kindly reminded by so many of you that I have a lifetime of memories to hold on to.  With each hug and kind word spoken, I felt the compassion of loving and caring people.  It is hard to imagine what it would be like going through any tragedy without a church family to lean upon and sense their kindness and compassion.  In I Corinthians 13 the apostle Paul writes extensively about love.  As he does so, he lets us know that part of what love is, is being kind.   As we go about being kind and compassionate to one another we draw comfort in doing what God has asked us to do.  What a blessing!!  

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: