Friday, March 30, 2012

Through The Glass... (part 2)






One memory verse we learn in all five of my classes is James 1:22-24:
"Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.''

We discuss the meaning and I bring up that Mom, in her late stages of Alzheimer's, did not recognize her own image. I tell the kids that sometimes at the end of the day, I look at myself in the mirror, and don't always like what I see. The kids finished this statement: 'When I look in the mirror, I see....' Every student is allowed complete confidentiality and some years, I do not even read any that request privacy. My students are very honest; some of their reflections will choke you up as you see yourself during your teenage years. Over the next few nights, I'll run some of the responses of those who were willing to share; boys are in blue and girls are in pink. These will be a mixture of 8th graders-sophomores-juniors-seniors.



When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who is holding himself back from success. I see a person that has made many mistakes, and always looks for the easy way out. I see a person who is a great soccer player, who could be a future athlete, but doesn't practice enough. I see a young man who only makes excuses. I see a young man whose attitude needs to change. I also see a person who has denied God on several occasions to fit in with his friends. I see a person who is struggling in academics, but never studies or tries to get better. I see a young man who gives up when he doesn't know how to do something. I see a young man who has a lot of work to do, and is now trying to get better but is far from being perfect. Lastly, I see a young man who has loving parents that try and help him, but he takes them for granted and doesn't show them the respect they deserve. -M


When I look in the mirror, I see a child of God who knows that God loves her, yet still wonders if He really does. I see a girl who, in the past, has dealt with insecurities but is now confident in who she is. I see a girl who is extremely loving and caring. I see a girl who is curious to know what her future is going to be. I see a girl who is beautiful both inside and out. I see a girl who loves to laugh and have fun. Most importantly, I see a girl maturing into a woman. -K


When I look in the mirror, I see a boy with potential who just wants to make it in life. I see a boy with high hopes and big dreams. I see a boy who is big on the outside, but feels so little on the inside. A boy who is not wanting to be seen, but is always noticed. I see a lost boy looking for a way to go, whose life is like a never-ending roller coaster. I see a boy who takes two steps forward to get knocked five steps back. Lastly, I see a boy who will always strive for excellence, never accepting where he is and will do whatever it takes to reach his goals. -T


When I look in the mirror, I see a young lady who is always tied together with a smile. I also see a young lady who has been raised with the teachings of Christ, but lacks the relationship with God she should have. However, I see how she is trying to build that relationship with God she longs for. I see she makes a lot of mistakes, but she learns from them. I see someone who is afraid to trust people because she has been hurt before. I see an innocent-looking girl who makes a lot of bad choices. I also see a young girl who has many great things she wants to do in the future. I see a girl who is physically smaller than everyone else, but she doesn't let that stop her from doing anything she sets her mind to. I see a hard-working, good student. I see a girl who pushes through her struggles. Lastly, I see a girl who is a daughter, a sister, and a loyal friend. -M


When I look in the mirror, I see the NCAA tournament. I see a boy with a bright future, not knowing how he is going to get there. I see a young man who is the head of his household who will do anything for his mom and sister. I see a boy who accepts challenges on and off the court. I see a boy who is striving for success and won't stop until he gets it. I see a young Christian who tries to do the right thing, but sometimes the difficulty level gets to be too much. I see a boy who grew up without a father, but had the best mom and grandparents in the world to help him become a man. When I look in the mirror, I see anger and hurt because of an injury, but he has coaches and teachers who are always there to lift him back up. I see a boy who makes mistakes. I see myself and all I have become. -A


When I look in the mirror, I see a mixture of everything that influences, and has influenced her life all wrapped together, clinging tightly to make ME! I see a freckle-face smile, that strives to bring joy to everyone. I see mistakes, and with them I see lessons, growth, and forgiveness. I see pain caused by my naive heart, insecurities, and my longing o be something, someone greater. Through my eyes, I see my grandparents' love. Through my freckled face, I see my parents' support. And through my smile, I see my past and present friendships, and through that smile, I see God shining through those I meet. -L


When I look in the mirror, I see a young man who is kind to others but easily disrespectful. I see a young man who is smart and good at many things but who allows himself to be lazy. I see a young man with useful talents but who is unable to open his eyes and realize how God has blessed him. I see a young man with many friends who feels like he is a loner. I see a young man who loves the Lord but but does not do what he should by going to church every Sunday and praying before he goes to sleep. I see a mature young man who allows himself to act foolishly. I see a strong young man who doesn't exercise enough to maintain his full strength. I see a young man who tries to act like a gentleman and a real man who shows love, even with the absence of his father or manly advice. I see a young man afraid to do certain things because he worries how much money it will cost him. I see a young man with a bright future who fears it will turn dull and dark. -C


Applicable quote of the day:
How we think shows through in how we act. Attitudes are mirrors of the mind. They reflect thinking. 
David Joseph Schwartz  


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Not So Ordinary Princess said...

I so can relate to many of these....thanks for sharing and reminding us that there are others who often see themselves in the mirror much like another.....