Monday, October 31, 2011

The Blessing Of Our Children Redux

Last week in my classes, we wrote the Blessing of Aaron as a memory verse. Found in Numbers 6:24-26, God commanded the first high priest of Israel to use these words to bless his chosen people:
"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

We spoke of the human need for approval and how parents can have such an effect on the self-worth of their children. We talked of bedtime rituals and how moms and dads can make their kids feel important and ease their fears. I told them about how my folks tucked us in when we were small, prayed with us, and kissed us good-night. With that discussion as background, I gave each student a sheet of paper and had them pen a bedtime blessing to the child they will bring into the world in future years. Tonight, and in the coming nights, I'll let some of them speak for me. The boys' blessings are in blue, the girls' in pink.


"My dear son, you are blessed just as your mommy and daddy are blessed. The Lord loves you and is always watching out for you and protecting you. Lay your head down, little boy, and do not  be afraid. Don't forget to thank God and go to Him when you need help. Your mommy and daddy love you very much. You are a blessing to us, and became a light whenever you opened those little eyes of yours. It is now time to get some rest my dear child. Stay tucked into your covers! Goodnight!" -Alison


"My dear son, I love you. You are my protege. You are my heir, my prince to the throne. As you sleep, may the Lord bless you and keep you safe. May He lift you to high places. May He stay by your side while you are in trouble. You are my gift from God. I promise that I will always  be there for you. Even when I am gone, don't forget I will be there. God will be there. Never forget I will love you no matter what, and your mother and I will never leave you. Every time you wake up thank God for being blessed with another day. Never take anything for granted. One day you will be doing the same to your children. I thank God for you, and sleep peacefully. Goodnight and God bless you, Michael. I love you so much. Your Father." -Ben


"My darling, now that the day has come to an end, it is time to rest. The dark can be scary, but I will always be here for you. One day you will grow up, but 'I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.' Just know I cherish you and you are what I look forward to seeing everyday. I have kept you up long enough; now I tuck you in and kiss you goodnight. God bless you, and I love you with all my heart." -Sarah


"The Lord is your shepherd, He let you lie down in green pastures, He will lead you beside still waters, and when you are broken, He will restore your soul. His light will shine on you when you are in the darkness, His attention is turned toward you always; talk with Him. You, my son, are my reason to live, so make your life a life filled with the Spirit and truth. Your mother and I love you unconditionally, and will always be waiting to catch you when you fall. Goodnight, my wonderful son, Gabriel." -Gabe


"My dear precious child, my beautiful angel, the love of my life: You are the greatest gift God has given me. You fulfill my destiny and endow my heart with so much joy and tranquility. As a mother, I only want the best for you and I won't stop until the best becomes reality. You are a child of God and you can accomplish anything. Don't accept failure because triumph and success are both within you. Never fall into the malicious ways of the world because God loves you so much and so do I. Sleep tight and I love you." -Raven

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: