Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Good Father: Uncles And Grandfathers


For several nights in a row, we have looked at ideals of fatherhood from the perspective of my students. I'm going to conclude with two insights from teenagers, one girl and one boy. Because of the very personal nature of their thoughts, I am not using names but these are used with permission. Young people have very keen levels of observation:

My dad was an alcoholic and a drug-addict. This summer, I spent time with my uncle when our church group went to Alabama for a mission trip. I haven’t been around my dad much. So when I was able to spend time with my uncle, I finally figured out what I was missing my whole life. It’s that father figure that I see in my uncle. I look up to him constantly, no matter what. If I need someone to talk to or I need a good laugh, or a shoulder to cry on, I go to him. I don’t really know what a father is; I can only imagine. To me, wanting a father means to have someone to play basketball or rough house with, or simply someone to go to and just talk about anything. That’s what I get from my uncle. I love my uncle to death.

A good father supports his family. He spends time with his wife, and supports his children, no matter what the kids are interested in doing. You have to be involved in the family to be a good father. You don’t have to do anything extra, but you have to be there. I could be wrong because it’s been my mom, sister, and me all my life, and now I’m used to it being that way. That’s bad if you’re the father, in my opinion. I call my grandfather dad. He’s the man I look up to, NOBODY else. As I sit and watch my grandfather, I’m amazed at what he does. He works from 6 AM to 6 PM as a manager at a plantation in Louisiana. He loves sports. The thing that really catches my eye is the extra work he does that he doesn’t have to. My grandmother owns a cleaning business. Sometimes, she works at night. He tells her to sit down and take a rest. He comes home at six, and leaves again to work from seven to four. He also calls his children and grand kids every night. That’s what I call an amazing father and husband.

To what these two have written, I can only add AMEN!

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Clara Akwarandu said...

So maybe you have to not have something, like a father, to really appreciate it. I like this post. Hope they got A's!