Monday, July 11, 2011

On The Ground In Vietnam

(Four of my WCS students drove for forty-five minutes to see me at the airport in Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon. Remember, at this point, I had no slept in thirty hours or shaved or showered! From left, Jessica, Victoria, Emmy, Thuy.)
Good afternoon or very early US morning. The time difference is twelve hours. I'm in Can Tho, Vietnam. I had a terrific trip here and uneventful except for not being able to sleep on the 14 hours from Dallas to Seoul, South Korea. Tom, an American missionary I'm working with, has been very sick but is out of the hospital. I arrived in Vietnam about 11:00 PM last night and had a three and a half hour taxi ride with three young ladies from Tom's church who came when  he could not. I've slept about three hours in the last 48 so I'm groggy. I went out with several of the Christians here for breakfast at an outdoor cafe: delicious noodle soup and vegetables and STRONG coffee. Vietnam's economy seems to be driven by food! I rode on the back of a scooter for the first time and felt no nervousness. We took a boat ride to the site of the new clinic/church building that will be finished shortly. Imagine- getting to worship by boat! They keep feeding me every time I turn around. Hospitality seems to be of utmost importance like I have found in Honduras, Haiti, and China. Please pray for me to be a blessing in this work. I am preaching this Sunday!
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks/com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

3 comments:

Lovey said...

God bless you Steve.

Ron and Pat Brown's Adventures in Asia said...

Steve, happy you are there and hope it all goes well. Carole has arrived at Tiendeng. We got home a week ago and still "groggy" from jetlag. Have a wonderful trip and keep writing. ...Love, Pat

Thess said...

Be a blessing and be blessed by whatever you experience, see andf discover there.

God keep you safe.