Saturday, July 23, 2011

No Greater Love (Dave Hawley)

My brother, Dave, penned this in July of 2007 while I was on a mission in Honduras. He powerfully speaks about two young ladies from Kansas. Please keep praying for me in Vietnam!
It is my greatest goal not to spend my opportunities writing for my brother being Dave Downer, so as I was casting about for a topic, I tried to focus on the positive. There are ample examples of things that are good and right and just, but I was struggling to pick the right one

Then it came to me. Yesterday, I attended the funeral of Glory Gensch, one of my former students and tennis players who died last week at the age of 23 from cancer, and I was reminded of a very great truth.While the service was obviously about the life and impact of Glory(which is worthy of a blog all of it's own), I was struck again by the action of another one of my students/player named Becca Murfin. When Glory was diagnosed in July of last year, Becca quit her job and moved to Denver, in essence to minister to Glory's needs.She literally gave up HER life for ten months to help a very good friend in her battle. I'm humbled by that kind of selfless devotion.

John 15:13 tells us that "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends".The ultimate example of that is obviously Jesus, in giving us the gift of salvation by laying down His life for us. But it occurs to me that we mirror the effort of Jesus when WE give up of ourselves for the greater good of someone else.No greater love, indeed. Becca reminded me that this should be a standard theme in all of our lives.
Dave

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: