Friday, July 22, 2011

Mothers and Swing Sets (Joe Widick)

Tonight, Joe Widick talks about a subject dear to many of our fearts, our moms. Please keep praying for me in Vietnam!

My mother is getting older. This coming June she will celebrate being 86 years old. Her health is not what it once was. When I leave after visiting her, my mind often goes back to the way it once was, when she was in the prime of health and ability. She was active and involved in the work of the church. She taught “Bible class” and was the church secretary. Fathers are important and to be cherished, but there is something about mothers that make them special. For me my mother thought I could do anything! She encouraged me to be the best baseball player I could be. She encouraged me to be a scout, she encouraged me to be a Christian. It was her encouragement that has helped me along life’s journey.

This past Easter, we had our family over for our traditional egg hunt. After all (or at least most) of the eggs were found the children played in the back yard. John Derrick is having a little difficulty learning the art of swinging. He hasn’t grasped the concept of pumping his legs to get the swing to go higher. As I watched it was his mother who went out and gave him a little push to help him get started. Isn’t it interesting to note that with a little push, we can begin to soar higher and higher in life.

Encouraging others along in life is truly a worthy purpose. I would think that Hannah encouraged Samuel her only son in the ways of the Lord. Coupled with her prayers Samuel grew into one the great statesmen for Israel. I wonder how many were influenced by the kind deeds of Dorcas. Were they encouraged by her acts of kindness? Timothy, Paul’s son in the faith had a mother and grandmother Eunice and Lois, who were I am certain great encouragers in Timothy’s walk. We are all familiar with the virtuous woman of Proverbs 31. Solomon said of her; “She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also and he praises her.” It is intriguing to realize that a little spark of encouragement can ignite great endeavors. I like all children are thankful for the encouragement given to us by mothers. Most if not all owe a huge thank you to our mothers for that little push on a swing set or the encouraging words of “I believe in you….you can do whatever you set your mind to.
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Steve brown said...

It would be wise to be noted that metal swing sets will not final as lengthy as wood sets, for the reason that they will inevitably corrode with extended exposure to the components. They are also not as solid as wooden sets, and could not be ready to assistance the weight of older youngsters, building them a little extra of a security possibility.