Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Friend (Joe Widick)

Here is the third installment from Joe Widick. I know they are blessing you! Please keep praying for me on my trip to Vietnam!

The flight from Nashville to Atlanta went well.  No problems, I was surrounded by people just like me.  From Atlanta to Mexico City was equally pleasant.  I set next to a business man who occupied most of his time in preparing for his day.  Once in Mexico City, I began to run into trouble.  My flight to Topochula, Mexico was delayed and I was forced to spend several hours in Mexico City airport.  When it was time  to finally board the plan we went by bus to a plan setting out by itself.  There were only about 30 on the flight, I was the only one who did not speak Spanish.  I don’t know what a Mexican gang looks like, but I thought for sure they were occupying the front part of the plan.  I felt their eyes were on me constantly.  About 4 hours late, the plan takes off for Topochula.  We had been in the air about 15-20 minutes when I noticed what appeared to be smoke coming from upfront somewhere.  Then there appeared a man in an orange jumpsuit who came back close to where I was setting.  He removed a little round cover plate from the floor of the plane, looked in, said something, put it back on and went back to the front of the plan.  Then one of the flight attendants came on and in her best Spanish explained what was happening.  I thought this was my last flight!   I guess she could see the concern (maybe fear) on my face.  She came back to my seat and in her best English explained that it was nothing to worry about, all was OK.  She became my very best friend on that flight, she told me it was nothing to worry about.  I was met at the airport in Topochula by our missionary Daniel.  The gang members were met by their parents.   All was well. 

In the first century, a group of believers in Thessalonica were afraid that their believing loved ones who had died were gone forever and would miss out on the second coming of Christ.  Paul wrote “I to not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope”  (I Thessalonians 4:13).  Paul’s words of comfort were intended to soften their fears by giving them the right information, which made all the difference in the world.  While grieving their loss, they could still have hope of a coming reunion with those who were in Christ.  In times of distress and hurt it is good to get the right information.  It is also important to know that the Bible has given us the truth. 

God bless,
Steve

Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Thess said...

Count on the prayer :) MAybe learn a few words?