Tuesday, April 12, 2011

In Other Words..... (Final Chapter)

(This is the fourth and final installment of an entry from last week.) In our study of the Gospels, my sophomores and eighth graders took a one period detour and looked at love from 1st Corinthians 13. So much of the Gospels deals with the motives for our actions; Paul addresses the same issue at the beginning of his beautiful treatise: "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." (verses 1-3) As I have done recently, I had my students put similar thoughts in their own vernacular, framing them with their own points of references. As they always do, they displayed a fascinating-and sometimes startling mature- grasp of life. Here is a sampling:

"If I have a girl and treat her badly, I might as well be single." Justin


"If I join Science Olympiad just to get a day off from school, I might as well stay home." An


"If I say I forgive someone but secretly hate them, then that is not forgiveness." Mary


"If I boast about my love, I have none." Alexander


"If I date a girl because of a bet and break up with her after the bet even though she really likes me, I might as well not gone out with her." Bruse


"If I pray in a corner hoping someone will see me, then I may as well not pray." Taylor E.


"If I love my slowly passing grandma and yet do not go visit her in the hospital, then I don't really love her." John


"If I go to college just to meet girls, I might as well go home because girls do not like stupid boys." Terrell


"If I say I love my friends and then continue to let them do wrong, I don't really love or care for them." Aeriel


"If I put 20 dollars in the collection plate at church to look generous in front of a girl, I might as well keep my money." Jacob


"If I tell my mom I'm grateful and then later pout when I don't get what I want, I'm not really grateful." Jada

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks

1 comment:

Jacob said...

I can relate to all of those Coach Hawley. Good post Coach.