Wednesday, June 26, 2019

The List

I spent time working in my classroom yesterday but it's not the same without the kids who give me great material! This is from February 13, 2011!

We had a test in my two eighth grade Bible classes on Friday. The grades were pretty good but I am not overjoyed with our efforts on the essay/discussion part of the exam. Some of us are learning the hard way that a one sentence answer does not qualify as discussing. One of my eighth grade classes is right after lunch and one is at the end of the day. The two are as different as can be. The first class is much smaller than the later one and does better on some types of assignments. The 2:40 class is larger, more talkative, and eager to begin their after school activities. As I picked up the tests on Friday after the kids had departed from 8th period, I found some interesting artwork on a piece of lined notebook paper. It was left by one of the young ladies, one of my players, but I'm not 100% sure which one. I could check handwriting from their tests but sometimes, it's better thinking it could be any number of kids. I will recreate it as best I can, including the color used on each letter:

On the top were the words Valentine's Day List. Down the two outsides was written Valentine's Day with hearts serving as quotation marks. At the bottom, she had printed I heart Valentine's Day with more hearts for emphasis. This is what was written down the middle:
-I've got to get my balloons
-Teddy bearssssssss! heart heart heart heart heart
-Chocolate
-Cupcakes or cookies! I need to decide. hmmmmm or cheesecake brownies.oooooooh
-Buy some cards or make some cards. I don't know yet.
-I need a cute bow or ribbon.
-Stickers would be nice. Yeah Stickers are cool.
I laughed when I read what the young lady had meticulously labored to set forth in preparation for the big day which of course, is tomorrow, February 14. But as I thought about it, I noticed there was something missing; no mention of any young man. How refreshing is it that this girl is celebrating the holiday without thinking she has to have a boyfriend RIGHT NOW. I find a purity in her approach. Our culture has degraded so many things, even a wonderful day to celebrate the concept of love, romantic with the more mature but platonic with little children. I like the way this eighth grader thinks and I bet her folks do as well. The time will come when there will be the obligatory boy but that's down the road. For right now, it's about chocolate and balloons, stickers and teddy bears, ribbons and cupcakes. And to quote the last line in the Hokey Pokey, That's What It's All About!


Applicable quote of the day:
"Harmony is pure love, for love is a concerto."
Lope de Vega


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com


*The picture of the doggy is from rescueleague.org. *

1 comment:

Sincerely from the Typing fingers of Hanna McAdams said...

I wish I was there to help with the LOVE BOARD. Happy Valentines day !