Saturday, December 11, 2010

What You Don't See



We just finished our tournament at Fort Bend Baptist. Over the past twenty-four hours, we played four games, winning two and coming in second in the other two. We are 9-7 going into the Christmas break. A team is like the iceberg illustration with most of the ice out of sight. So much of what happens with a team is away from the public view. I constantly remind myself these are 6-7-8th graders and not professionals or even high school players. Yesterday, we ended our first period practice ten minutes early. We spent the time making Christmas cards for Katy Shirley who coaches with me. Katy teaches second grade and can't be in our practice sessions. After the young ladies did their finest holiday art work, we special delivered them to Katy along with a Starbucks card the girls passed the hat for. (Rumor has it that Coach Shirley has the classic warning signs of a Starbucks addict!) I know I talk about these kids all the time- here is what they look like in their natural element. I have preached the weddings of a number of my former players; you form bonds with kids you spend an extraordinary amount of time with. This team is my best Christmas present.

Applicable quote of the day:
"Win together, lose together, play together, stay together."
Debra Mancuso

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: