Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Cards

It's Christmas Eve and I'm done shopping. It was easy this year but not much fun. Dave and I went out on Wednesday afternoon and finished in less than two hours. Stops were made at Starbucks, Borders, Best Buy, Home Depot, and, for the first time in my life, Victoria's Secret, where I was one of the few males on the premises, trying to blend in. All but one of my presents were of the gift card variety. There will no ribbons or bows or brightly colored paper required just as there was little forethought involved. It wasn't always this way. I've never been a great shopper and always a procrastinator but at least I exerted some effort. My nieces, Karis and Meagan, always looked forward to spending a day with Uncle Steve in the mall and helping me through the season, even wrapping our treasures. Now, my nieces are all grown up and regrettably, I have chosen to take the easy way out. Aren't we glad our Father did not take the easy path? We're told that Jesus, the Lamb of God, was 'slain since the creation of the world.' That's not-last second or an after thought, is it? The greatest gift of all demanded the ultimate sacrifice, a life that was concurrently human and divine. And it arrived in a tiny package without even the benefit of a tree weighted down with ornaments and strings of lights. What a gift, the love of God in the form of a baby. No wonder the angels rejoiced. Can we rejoice any less?

Applicable quote of the day:
"Christmas gift suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a friend, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect."
Oren Arnold


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

JT said...

Merry Christmas! May God Bless You.