Friday, March 16, 2018

Power Of Ten


I've found out when I'm in Vietnam that wedding dates are set by a complicated (to me) interaction of numbers! This is from October 10, 2010 and it's about marriage! 

I learned several things before worship services this morning. Watching one of those Sunday morning 
news shows, I discovered that October now has the second most number of American weddings, following June. That was surprising to me. But, the more intriguing fact I gleaned is that there will be an abnormal number of weddings today, three times the normal quantity. The reason was obvious when explained. It's the date: 10-10-10. Many couples have chosen October 10, 2010 simply because they think it's lucky. There was a similar uptick in weddings on July 7, 2007, or 7-7-7. We as a culture are superstitious with numbers- there is no thirteenth floor in my dentist's building- although it seems to me from my two trips to China they are more so, avoiding the number 4 because it sounds like the word for death. I do think getting married on 10-10-10 would help some husbands remember their anniversary but I hope these couples are basing their marital futures on more than a lucky lottery combination. Our minister, David Yasko, this morning used some statistics in his lesson. One of the most compelling was, and I hope I'm quoting this accurately, is that there are more divorces in the US than in the rest of the world combined. As do all teachers, I deal with the collateral damage of divorce in the classroom: the children. I wish the percentage of successful marriages performed today would be the same as the mathematically cubed date or 10 x 10 x 10 or 10 to the third power or 1000%. I'm not holding my breath but I bet Adam did when he saw Eve, the woman God made from him and for him.Wedding planning was so much simpler then; no bridesmaid dresses (or bridesmaids!), no in-laws, no caterers or photographers or florists, and no expensive reception! Oh yeah, one other thing; no calender to pick a lucky date. I think the Lord took care of that detail.


Applicable of the day:
"The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It's a choice you make / not just on your wedding day, but over and over again / and that choice is reflected in the way you treat your husband or wife."
Barbara De Angelis


*The picture of the bride and groom is from the website at http://www.latourelle.com/ *

God bless,

Steve
Luke 18:1
www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

7 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

Good post, Steve. I have a post up today about character for marriage.

Warren Baldwin said...

Where did you get this picture? Is it a free one, one used by permission, etc.? I could use some wedding/marriage pics for some of my posts.

Julia Cates said...

Picture is nice.
Thanks for share.
wedding songs

Mary said...

That was a very interesting post. Yes, we are very superstitious today.

Unknown said...

Great post! Funny to think that people actually plan their weddings around a so-called, 'lucky' date. Love the point you made about wedding planning being so much simpler in Adam & Eve's day! The quote by Barbara De Angelis is worth heeding! God bless!

Devoted said...

Great post! Loved every word!

Tonjia Rolan said...

Great quote. I got married on the fourth of July. Easy to remember, and great fireworks, every year.