Saturday, March 17, 2018

The Alternative



Sometimes it's easy for me to write and sometimes, it's not. I have a number of partially written devotionals in my files but I can't quite make them come together. The following is along that line and centers on a story that did not turn out the way I expected. It is from February 5, 2007.

I started this entry some time ago. It was supposed to be about a Christmas present but it just wouldn't flow. It sounded good in my mind but looked weak on the computer screen. There was allegedly some spiritual point to be made but I couldn't make it. I was sure it was what the Lord wanted me to write about today but now I'm not so sure. I was positive I could make you smile and nod your head in agreement, and maybe even evoke a giggle. Since I can't force myself to grin, I bet you wouldn't either. Most of my devotionals center on something that happened in my world during my waking hours but it was a routine day at Westbury Christian School. All of my five classes had the same memory verse assignment to write out for a grade. It was Luke 12:15, the entry to the Parable of the Rich Fool:
"Then he (Jesus) said to them, 'Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.' "

We always discuss the scriptures as we review before transcribing them to paper. We talked about the death of James Brown, the Godfather of Soul who passed away several weeks ago and, at last report, has yet to be interred. I asked my students how much money they thought James Brown had made and they replied millions. Then, I wondered if any of them would change places with him now. Not surprisingly, there were no takers. When I inquired, the predictable answer was consistently, "He's dead." Maybe that's my thought for the day. We are susceptible to having average days, blown plans, interrupted projects, ineffective lessons, frustrations, and disconnected devotional story lines. But the reason is.....WE'RE ALIVE! We have today and maybe tomorrow and perhaps another after that one. Jesus told us the abundance of wealth can't define us. The cash and the accompanying fame lose their appeal when that line goes flat on the heart monitor. The dead are stuck: the living can change. It's not over yet. I feel good.

Applicable quote of the day:
"I tell my wife; You got plenty of time left. Don't live so fast. Slow down and live, and don't try to catch up."
James Brown



God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: