Sunday, July 11, 2010

Glad I Was There, part 1 (Joe Widick)

Today, Joe talks about mission work in Honduras.

As many trips as I have made to Honduras, I had never been there. I heard the men talk about it but never had I experienced it. The opportunity to visit first hand the work of Mission Lazarus was truly an inspirational time. I had seen pictures, heard reports but never had I stepped foot on 1200 plus acres that make up Mission Lazarus. Mission Lazarus gives hope to the hopeless. It helps the seemingly helpless. I could fill this column with the good works of Mission Lazarus. What I want to share with you is something that caught my attention and has made a lasting impression. Mission Lazarus operates a private school in San Marcos. This facility was given to Mission Lazarus by the Honduras government. This private school is for the needy of the region. Those children who can not afford to go to public school have an opportunity to go to this private school. The cost is 50 lemperas per month. That translates to a little over $2.50 per month. For this amount the children can come and receive 2 meals. They are exposed to having structure in the lives. They are able to come in contact with Christian men and ladies who have a positive impact on their lives. They get to run and play like normal children. They are given school clothes. There is hope!
What happens at the end of the day? What do they do? Where do they go? I know it is not to a nice home. It may be a one room house with a dirt floor, probably without electricity or running water. More than likely it is a single parent home with several brothers and sisters. For a moment though they have experienced something very special, and have been given an opportunity to grow.


Have you ever thought about unplugging “hope” from your life. You have no “hope” of a better life, no “hope” of advancing in your chosen career, no “hope” of seeing a better, brighter tomorrow. The feeling of being beaten down and not being able to get up. No “hope” for where your next meal will come from. No “hope” of one day being united with your Father in Heaven for all eternity. Paul told Titus; “...we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ” (Titus 2:13). Mission Lazarus is about a lot of things. One thing however that stands out is that idea of “hope.” It seems that hope is what keeps each of us going forward.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Where we have hope in the assurance of a meal and a roof over our head with floors, electricity and running water, I can't imagine what it is like to have faith that though I don't know where my food and shelter will be God will provide for me no matter what in the face of so much hopelesness. The faith of those whose hope in the Lord is deeper because of their adversity often humbles me.