Sunday, August 19, 2018

Prayer And Major Appliances



Last summer, I received a new dishwasher, stove, and fridge as a part of an apartment upgrade. This entry, from May 1, 2010, was about when another appliance showed up in my place!
It was installed by the time I returned home from school on Thursday. The good gentlemen in our apartment maintenance department had delivered, unloaded, and set up my new GE refrigerator. They had taken what was remaining in my old fridge and carefully placed it in the right compartment in the new one; dairy, vegetable drawer, etc. They even took the magnets (Brazil mission, Hillcroft Automotive) off the old model and attached them to the new. I keep going in and gazing at it. It has quite a bit more room and an ice maker that works. The suction on the door is incredible; I am already mentally calculating my electric savings in the coming months.

You might wonder what the big deal is about a new appliance. I've lived here twelve years and the complex supplies the stove and refrigerator. My previous refrigerator still ran okay but it made noise and the big thing, its outside had been covered with rust. Several weeks ago, I asked the office if they might have possibly a refrigerator in better condition than mine that they could swap out. Our complex has five hundred units so I knew there could be a supply. Here's the neat thing. I had no idea that my replacement would be brand new, right out of the crate! I thought I would get a slightly less rusty upgrade. Instead, I was blessed with something much better, something way past my meager expectations. It's like I hit the SEARS jackpot!

Does your prayer life ever resemble my refrigerator scenario? I know mine does. I pray for something- nothing spectacular, mind you- and wonder if the Lord is listening when it seems there is no response. In due time, though, my prayer is answered in a manner so much better than I dreamed of. I think I limit the Lord mentally because I have such short sightedness. I'm not really talking about material things but situations and plans and goals. I'm glad our God is not limited by my Day-Timer sense of answering prayers. His ways are not...well, you know how that verse ends. I was thinking, though, that my old stove is kind of corroded...

Applicable quote of the day:

"One time, I went to a museum where all the work had been done by children. They had all the paintings up on refrigerators.''
Stephen Wright

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Loved the post, about using a refigerater to compare prayer,
A good idea, must try it .

Yvonne.

Sabine da Silva said...

Great post. I like how everything was transferred over to the new fridge with care. Makes you feel good about the world.