Thursday, February 19, 2009

The One (Female Point Of View)

This week, I had my students read a devotional entry I had written last year entitled, You're The One! (It is printed below.) The crux of this piece centered around John the Baptist asking if Jesus was the Messiah, the one the Jewish people longed for and expected. We then used John's question as a basis of discussing whether there was The One for each of us in our romantic lives. After we read that article on Friday, and since it was only twenty-four hours removed from Valentine's Day, I had my students of this year give their opinion. Today, I will share some of the girls' thoughts and next time, those of the male persuasion:


"I think there is more than one. As humans, we look for different traits in people and judge them on that. We search so hard narrowing it down, and being so picky that we unintentionally block out potential candidates. You may think you found the one, and there will be no one else, but all too often the person we thought was the one disappoints us, or the relationship falls through. I had a friend whotold me she could make herself fall in love with anyone. I thought that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard but it made me think. Maybe it meant she could look for the best in someone and love them, or maybe she didn't believe in true love. I think that giving love is simple but receiving it is a harder task. I don't think it's impossible, and I think one can be surprised at how many people of the opposite gender that you can have a mutual love relationship with. I think the trick is to love someone for the right reasons and that they do as well. My point is that if you think that you can't find love, after you for some reason lose the one, then it's not true. You have to get up on your feet, and try your best with an open mind and an open heart. Having faith always helps too, and remember Luke 18:1."
Hanna


"I do think that there is the one. I think that God has one planned for everyone. I think that God puts certain people in your life for a certain reason. God is so brilliant like that. Our whole life is a puzzle and I think God gives you the pieces for the puzzle and it is your job to put all the pieces together. There are so many people in the world and I don't think that people like to put their trust in God and accept His true beauty, because it doesn't seem realistic. I don't know if I have met the one or not but I know that if I trust God's beauty and brilliance, I will, eventually , meet Mr. Right."
Amberly

"I think that one of the most difficult questions I'll have to answer in my lifetime is whether or not I've found "the one." I used to believe everyone had a soul mate, but now I'm not sure. It's difficult to believe we're each meant for someone. I can't imagine God wanting everyone to go through the heart break and pain of finally finding the right person. It may just be a matter of finding the first person that makes you feel secure and loved. There may be multiple people we could marry, but everyone just ends up with the first. I'm not sure we could ever know who the one is. How do we find them without help or guidelines? I just don't think that I can believe we're meant for one person when there are so many people in abusive relationships, but stay because they've found their true love. Everyone has a fear of being alone. In some ways I think in saying you've found the one is a way people reassure themselves that everything will be all right. If you've found your soul mate, then you can easily ignore your partner's faults. To believe everyone has a soul mate is to believe in fate. I don't want to find my soul mate. This would entail a quest to find someone who completes my life, and is my everything. If one person is my everything then I have everything to lose. I want to find my best friend. In a way, that's more valuable than a soul mate."
Curran


Applicable quote of the day:
"To fall in love is awfully simple, but to fall out of love is simply awful." Bess Myerson


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

1 comment:

Razgriz said...

This reminds me of a song by one of my favorite bands (They Might be Giants) called Ana Ng. Its about two people who have never met and live on opposite sides of the world, but are perfect soul mates.