Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Quotation

Gail Kommer is/was a long time friend of my folks, going back to their days at Harding College. Our family is so grateful that Gail was very faithful in looking after Mom and Dad when we could not be in St. Louis. This evening, I received an e-mail from Gail, who does a great deal of writing. She wanted to know if I could help her find the source of a quote she really loved. With the help of Google and a little imagination, I was fortunate enough to find the quotation's origin. The line came from a poem entitled To Those I Love by Isla Paschal Richardson. This work was read by Gregory Peck at Frank Sinatra's funeral and touched many people. I thought that nothing I could write tonight could be as eloquent or as moving as these lines of poetry. See if you agree:

If I should ever leave you,
Whom I love
To go along the silent way. . .
Grieve not.
Nor speak of me with tears.
But laugh and talk of me
As if I were beside you there.
(I'd come. . .I'd come,
Could I but find a way!
But would not tears and
And grief be barriers?)
And when you hear a song
Or see a bird I loved,
Please do not let the thought of me
Be sad. . .for I am loving you
Just as I always have. . .
You were so good to me!
There are so many thingsI wanted still to do. . .
So many things I wanted to say to you. . .
Remember thatI did not fear. . .
It was
Just leaving you
That was so hard to face.
We cannot see beyond. . .
But this I know:
I loved you so. . .
'twas heaven here with you!

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: