Friday, August 01, 2008

Fanatic/Crazy/Passionate? (Joe Widick)

Elaine and I both enjoy watching football on television. I think she might be the bigger fan. Our sons are Alabama fans, Elaine is a Tennessee fan and I cheer for Vanderbilt. Our youngest son got us hooded sweatshirts for Christmas. Mine is Vandy, hers is UT. As much as we enjoy watching the games, I would not call us fanatical about it. Have you noticed the extremes that some fans are going to in their support of their favorite teams? What makes fans wear a cheese head to a game when the temperature is zero or below? Why does a fan paint his face a particular color or paint a letter on his chest to help spell out the team’s name? Why would someone set in a stadium and yell for hours on end for their team? I thought about this and I think the answer is that they are passionate in their support for their favorite team. They are willing to go to extremes to show their love and support for their team.


Maybe you already see the lesson in this thought, maybe not. How passionate are you and I for the cause of Christ? Before I try to answer that question, I want to assure you that I am not suggesting in anyway that we go to the extremes that some fanatical football fans go to. I am though asking myself and you, to consider taking a look at our Christianity. Too many are content to simply set in the pews, singing some, bowing our heads, and listening to a lesson. Do you call that passion, a passion for Christ and His church? Are we excited about worship? Are we excited about the opportunity that is presented to us to serve in one of the many ministries that are going on at this place?



What about our love for Christ? Our love for his church, or our love for our fellow man? On one occasion Jesus had silenced the Sadducees. The Pharisees got together to discuss this. Eventually they sent one who was an expert in the law to go and test Jesus. To do this he simply asked a question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment of the Law?” Remember this is one who had come to test Jesus. When Jesus responded, there was not really anything left for the lawyer to say. Jesus said; “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.” Sounds to me like Jesus wanted that lawyer to be passionate about his service to the Master. It also sounds like he is telling me and you that we also need to have a burning passion for the Creator of the universe. Maybe tonight if you watch the super bowl game and see the fans show a passion for their team, maybe you will stop for a moment and ask yourself, am I passionate in my worship and service to the Lord?



Prayer Thought: Help me dear Lord to love you the way I need to love you.

No comments: