Monday, July 28, 2008

Just Like The Commercial (Joe Widick)

More wonderful thoughts from my good friend and brother in Christ, Joe Widick. Keep me in your prayers in Vietnam!


Unfortunately, I have grown somewhat skeptical about the validity of the commercials on TV. I see all of the neat looking representatives with their smiling faces asking customers if they can help. I see them seemingly full of knowledge with one desire that is to help. Too often as I have gone shopping for one thing or another, I have had to ask for help. First of all it is difficult to find someone, secondly they see way too busy to help, and thirdly, it just isn’t their area so they just don’t know. A couple of Wednesday nights ago, Elaine and I were picking up a few items after Bible study. Elaine was looking for some yogurt, and having a hard time deciding what flavors to get (I thought donuts would make a better mid-morning snack). As she was looking, the gentleman who was scanning prices, asked with a smile on his face, “Can I help you with anything.” Needless to say, we both almost fainted with surprise that someone was willing to help. Then I thought, their commercials on TV are real! They do care; they do want to help the customer. My faith in TV commercials has been somewhat restored.


Are you and I the real thing? We claim to be “Christians.” Most of us bring our Bible to worship and Bible study. Many will be at the building for each of our three assemblies. We will even open our voices and sing praises to God. The question I am challenging myself with as well as you, is in the day to day life that we live will people know that we are a Christian much more than in name only. I am reminded of a passage in I John, where the writer says; “If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.” (I John 3:17-18). Those are challenging words to me. They are words that make me look at my Christian walk, evaluating if I am real. As I talk with people, or interact with individuals, can those I am with know by my words and actions that I am trying to serve the Lord?


To me it is time that you and I no longer play at our Christianity. It is important that the community know who we are. It is important that the community knows that we want to serve and make a difference in peoples lives. It is important that have a desire to serve not to be served. I believe that God will bless an effort like that. As He blesses our efforts, we can give Him the praise and glory. We can also know that we are becoming more and more like those of the first century who were first called Christians.

Prayer Thought: Help each of us to be workers for the Lord.



God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: