Friday, December 04, 2009

The Hook Up


One of the biggest blessings of the last several years has been becoming computer literate and having the Internet installed in my apartment. It has not always been a smooth ride but the technology has allowed me to expand my teaching into areas I could not have imagined. The following, about that major step, is from February 13, 2006.

I know what you're thinking; this is just another Valentine story. I have to admit, the television and Internet are overrun with pieces on how to make February 14th a special day for the one you love. Have you noticed the only people they interview are women? That just confuses the issue for me. I am going to do my part. The Love Board has been a big success as always in Room 258. Tomorrow, I will extend a public service for the boys at Westbury Christian School. My plan is to stand in the hall and offer a free spray of Curve Cologne (For Men) to any male who wishes to make a better impression on any member of the fairer gender. I think I have enough to cover most of the masculine portion of the student body. WCS will be one sweet smelling place!

This entry isn't about love and flowers and romance, but I did make a major hook up just hours ago! I am now officially a member of the Internet community! Today, I subscribed with SBC/YAHOO for DSL service to energize my laptop. Actually, I didn't do anything. Karen Long, our WCS computer tech genius, handled the whole procedure while I meekly sat by her side. Karen speaks a language I don't quite comprehend. Its vernacular includes such foreign terms as hard drive, modem, and bytes. In just forty-five minutes, I became a member of the worldwide web global village for just $12.99 per month! I'm not there yet. There is more equipment I need to purchase and Kevin Duncan, one of our coaches, is going to do the installation for me. But, Lord willing, one week from today, I will blog from my luxurious suite in the Braesridge Apartments. I can't tell you how many "I will never" statements I have broken recently. I will NEVER use a computer. I will NEVER own a computer. I will NEVER own a laptop. I will NEVER have the Internet at home. I watch what I eat but words were not intended to be on the menu.

God gives us different abilities. Do you know Bezalel and Oholiab? In Exodus 35, we are told the Lord gave these Israelite gentlemen special skills and craftsmanship to help build the tabernacle in the wilderness. Not only that, God gave them the ability to teach others. I am in awe of people who can do stuff that confounds me. Karen and Jyusef Larry, our other WCS Microsoft guru, fall into that category. I require people like Karen and Jyusef to move me from Point A to Point B. My computer is functional...but not without a power source. I needed help to find it, an intermediate if you will. Aren't we glad we don't require a third party to approach the Lord? Jesus told his disciples to ask for anything in his name; he never mentioned any outside connector to reach him. The hook up is always there with heaven. There will be no extra equipment and we don't have to give out our social security numbers. (I went blank today when the DSL order required my SS#- we had to call our business office so we could continue.) The laptop is coming. The Lord is leading me into the future, even if it takes a few of his servants to lead me by the hand!

Applicable quote of the day:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
Mitch Ratcliffe (Technology Review)

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybbooks.com

1 comment:

Devin Raechelle said...

Okay this comment right here makes up for all the times i have not been able to comment!! Happy Valentines Day!! I don't see how a person could say they would never own a laptop!! I guess that's like me saying i will never be as strict to my children as my parents are to me, It will eventually if not have to, happen! Today is my favorite day also because i get to wear lots and lots of pink and i love pink as you can tell!! well hope yur enjoying your day eat lots of candy but not to much =)!
Devin