Monday, December 09, 2013

The Noise

One of the best things I have ever done is buy a brand new Honda Fit three and a half years ago. Why? It's reliable and I know nothing about cars as the following, from January 26, 2006, proves.

It started suddenly Saturday before last. I visited friends who live an hour away and as I began my trip home, an awful noise began emanating from under my Toyota. I stopped, idled the car, and listened- nothing. When I started moving, the rumble returned. It remained during my trip back to Houston but seemed to abate at higher speeds. The engine was running smoothly which gave me some hope. On Sunday, Greg Glenn, our AD at Westbury Christian School, rode with me to see the newly released movie Glory Road. His first comment was, "You have to get that looked at!" My method of handling problems is to ignore them and hope they solve themselves. Greg would have none of it. Monday was MLK Day and no school. He knew a great mechanic who might be open on the holiday. Early in the morning, we drove to the auto shop. On arrival, Greg went in and brought the owner out to meet me. In a heavily accented voice, he told me to drive and let him listen. I obediently drove up and down the driveway until the man held up his hand to stop me. He kneeled down, intently looked underneath the car, reached in, and .... pulled out a stick. Apparently I had run over a branch which had lodged in my undercarriage. Whenever the car was going forward, it became engaged in some movable part and hence, the racket. Honestly, I was already figuring out how to pay for the repair bill. The gentleman was so gracious and would not charge me for his time or expertise. With one generous act, he acquired a fan.

That scenario is typical me. I needed to have someone tell me to fix the problem. Maybe the stick would have worked itself out from the car eventually but maybe it could have done real damage. I could have listened, poked around for hours, and never discovered the problem. Greg had the best advice- go to someone who knows. If I have a toothache, I don't call a plumber. If my basketball team is ineffective in our offensive sets, the solutions aren't in an almanac. Spiritual struggles require the right attention, too. Often we turn to secular relief for ailments of the soul. Self-help books and seminars have some value but they can't heal the deep hurts. Jesus beckoned all to 'come unto me and I will give you rest.' That's where the answers lie. The Master claimed that he himself was the Way, the Truth, and the Life. To Christians, options begin and end with the Son of Man who was the Son of God. HE is the source of healing and comfort. HE is never shaken if there is a rattle in our lives. HE knows because he was one of us and HE made us. The depressions and malaise that strike our will and bend us over with unexplainable anxiety are within HIS realm of expertise. We don't know the what or why, but just like that mechanic, HE KNOWS WHERE TO LOOK!

Applicable quote of the day:
"I want a pit crew...I hate the procedures I have to go through when I have car problems."
Dave Barry

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: