Friday, April 12, 2024

Mom And Easter

 

Mom And Easter

Dad, Mom, and Scott in York, Nebraska.
Mom and Dad with Scott, Dave, and a very happy me in Michigan at the home of our Hawley grandparents.
Mom explaining life to me in Brooklyn.
Mom as a Harding coed.

Mom left the earth eleven years ago. I penned this on March 31, 2013,  four years to the day after she died. Miss you, Mom.

Mom died four years ago this morning. I was in a rental car between Oklahoma City and Wichita when she went home. I tried to get there but I didn't make it in time. Her battle against Alzheimer's would not  have allowed her to know the difference but I did and it hurt. There was not much I did today to commemorate her passing, just several little things. I carried her Bible to worship this morning, and before both AM and PM services, I got rid of my gum just like she would have required when I was a child. I'm sure few remembered this anniversary outside of her family but I'm not certain- her impact was amazingly broad and far reaching. She was an absolutely incredible disciple of Jesus, mom, wife, preacher's wife, sister, daughter, mother-in-law, grandmother, elementary school teacher, Den Mother, comforter, nurturer, friend, adviser, etc., etc.

To me, it was appropriate that the date of my mother's passing fell on Easter this year. Honestly, I don't dwell on her death except the one day of the year which reminds me. I think the same is true for many in the Christian community. One weekend a year, we celebrate the death/burial/resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ but often, it goes unnoticed or at least relegated to the back burner the other fifty one weeks. Without the selfless act of Jesus, there would be no forgiveness of sins, no eternity in heaven, no reconciliation with our Maker. Our lives should be one of gratitude and proclaiming His saving grace on a daily basis. And so today, I celebrate the woman who died but who gave me physical life. And Lord forgive me if I don't remember every day the death of the One who insures my eternal life. 

Applicable quote of the day # 1:
"When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts.  A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child."
Sophia Loren


Applicable quote of the day # 2:
"Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease." 
Lisa Alther

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

No comments: