Wednesday, April 10, 2024

In The Words Of Jairus

 

In The Words Of Jairus

In my juniors' Gospels' classes, one of our assignments is to rewrite Luke 8:40-56 from either the perspective of Jairus, whose daughter was on her deathbed, or from the unnamed woman in the crowd who had been bleeding for twelve years. This was penned by David, an outstanding young man from Vietnam. It is used with David's permission. It is appropriate that this story of raising the child comes close to the celebration of Easter. It is from April 10, 2020.
My name is Jarius, and today I want to tell you the story of my daughter being raised from the dead by Jesus when she was 12 years old. When I heard Jesus had returned to Capernaum, I immediately went out and looked for him, for I knew that he was the only one who could help my daughter's sickness. I swam through the crowd, and finally, I found Jesus standing in front of me. I immediately knelt down in front of Him, and asked for His blessing on my daughter, who was dying in my house. Jesus agreed immediately after I asked Him, and we hastily moved to our home. While we were walking in the middle of the crowd, suddenly Jesus stopped and claimed that somebody just touched him. I agreed with one of the disciples when he said that maybe someone in the crowd just bumped into him. Jesus disagreed. He said that He can feel the healing power go out from him. At this point, a woman in the crowd confessed that she was the one who touched Jesus, for she believed that the disease which caused her to bleed for 12 years could be healed instantly by just touching Him. Contrasted to what I thought, Jesus didn’t berate her. Instead, He even commended her, saying that it was her faith that has healed her!

When Jesus finished talking, my favorite servant, James ran towards me with tears in his eyes. He said that my daughter had died, so we do not have to bother Jesus anymore. At this point, I was thoroughly devastated and mad at the woman. Why can’t she come any other time? However, it seems like Jesus could read my mind! He told me to keep my composure and just like the woman, all I had to do was believe. When we arrived at the house, I could hear my wife and my brothers and sisters all crying for my little girl. Honestly, at that moment I had some doubts in my mind. What if Jesus could not do what I believed He could? Jesus told my family to stop crying, for my/our daughter was only sleeping. Some of my family even laughed at Him, for they thought Jesus didn’t know what happened. Jesus only allowed my wife, myself, and three of his men to enter the room. Jesus held my daughter’s hand calling her to wake up...... and she did! That is when I truly believed that Jesus is the son of God, for only the son of Man could raise people up from their death.

God bless, Steve Luke 18:1

No comments: