Saturday, November 21, 2020

The Flock

 The Flock



Our father spent the last years of his life caring for our mom who was left incapable of anything by Alzheimer's. It was a powerful example to all his children. This is from December 14, 2006.

I walked to the nearby Wendy's for dinner tonight. As I cut through the parking lot of an adjacent restaurant, my path crossed theirs. It was a group of adults with Down Syndrome who had just come out of the Piccadilly Cafeteria from supper. There were four of them, three walking with hands on the shoulders of the person in front of them as they returned to their van. They did not see me: I thought at least one of them might be blind. But, they had each other to lean on and they seemed content. A woman with them, obviously their caregiver, was so kind and considerate to the quartet under her oversight. I was reminded of the statement in Matthew 9 about the Savior's concern for those who struggle to fend for themselves:
"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like a sheep without a shepherd."

My mother is now completely at the mercy of others. Alzheimer's has rendered her incapable of defending herself from anything nor can she recognize any potential dangers in her path. God in his mercy gave my dad the responsibility of defending my mother from what remains of her ever-shrinking world. What many would consider an unbearable burden, Dad views as a spiritual blessing. The scriptures are replete with references to shepherd/flock in their roles as protector/protected. Mom is my father's one sheep flock. She has a terrific shepherd.

Applicable quote of the day:
"David wasn't thinking of being king when he tended sheep; he was just doing what God sat before him."
John Fisher


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

http://www.hawleybooks.com/
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: