Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Password Is...........


One of the great game shows of  yesteryear was Password, hosted by Allen Ludden. The format was simple- two celebrities and two ordinary folks were paired and they had to guess a word, revealed to both the live and at home audiences, from one word clues. Winning contestants received cash prizes, minuscule by today's standards. One great story line coming from Password was the marriage of host Ludden to regular celebrity, Betty White which I  chronicled in a blog (https://stevehawley.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-ring.html). The Cliff Notes version is that Ludden asked Betty to marry him on their first date. It's my most commented on blog ever and shockingly, every comment is from a female!

Today's entry is about a password but it has nothing to do with the show. If you read often, you know that from late December to March, I was without my laptop when my hard drive crashed, thus being unable to write new blogs or re-post older ones. The Lord sent Jon, a good friend, my way. While I was resigned to to buying a new DELL, Jon was able to install another hard drive and corresponding programs at zero cost! Essentially, I was the recipient of a brand new laptop for free! I should note that Jon is no stranger to my tech world. His wife was a cherished co-worker, all three of his kids had me in class, and one is  one of my all time favorite players! Plus, he purchased my last two laptops and set them up as well. My password on all my laptops was Luke 18:1,  logical as it is my favorite Bible verse, the one I sign off with. When Jon fixed me up this time, he had to put a new password. When I received the upgraded Dell four months ago, he told me what it was and what it was was incredibly simple. As soon as I got home, I attempted to change it but there was an issue- they give you personal questions to answer and I didn't know Jon's responses! I guess I could have called him back but he had been so nice and I didn't want to bother him so.......

Here's why I'm writing this- it isn't about a security risk. My Dell Inspiron stays in  my apartment and no one has access to it but me. The problem is that, and I am not exaggerating, I get the password wrong on the first try at least 90% of the times I log in. Even just now, when I am typing this, I got it wrong. It isn't 12345678 or abcdefgh or even Steve but those aren't far off, yet I keep messing it up. How is that possible? I almost always get it right on the second time but there shouldn't be a second time with the easiest password in the history of passwords. (I almost never make a mistake with my school computer password which is much more complicated!) We all know why I make the mistake; it's because I'm careless. I don't think about what I'm doing. I have no focus until I have to focus. The NRSV uses the term careless/carelessly four times  throughout the Bible and all four, it's in a negative sense. We know the opposite of careless- being careful,  taking care. Look what Jesus said in Matthew 12:36:
I tell you, on the day of judgment you will have to give an account for every careless word you utter;
If we think an IRS audit is bad, how painful will that accounting be? I try to be judicious in what I say but when I speak in haste or without thought of the impact of my words, I can do damage. Here is the great thing about my password mishaps; no harm, no foul (basketball analogy!) I just sigh and do it right the second time. Not many do-overs when we say something that is callous or cruel or dishonest or ........ The damage is done and usually, no amount of backtracking or apologizing can erase the harm inflicted. It's worse when it's a youngster, the kind of person I interact with ten months a year or family members whose lives will always intersect with ours. I can recall some things said to me that hurt and I will never forget them. The funny thing is that they were said by people I love, not strangers. None of them would remember and I doubt they meant the words in question. I'm more than positive I've done the same- ask my former players. I/we should always think before we speak. There's going to be an accounting and there won't be any secrets- the Lord already knows our passwords.


Applicable quote of the day:

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

No comments: