Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Dad And The Talking Heads



It's getting to be that time of year; Father's Day is coming up shortly. This will be # 13 without our father who died in April, 2008. I'm not emotional about it and I'm not even sure I was the year he died. Truthfully, the last time I think I was with Dad on Father's Day was one year when I was in college and I'm not even sure about that. Christmas and Thanksgiving were important in our home but I can't recall making a big deal out of either Mother's or Father's Day. I didn't appreciate my folks until I grew up and moved away, finding out the stability and love I took for granted were not universal. For fifteen consecutive Father's Days, I was working at Bison Basketball Camps in Nashville, Tennessee and had to call Dad from a pay phone in the Lipscomb University dorm. Of course, I had to call collect because all I had was a quarter. He didn't seem to mind.

Dad was a unique guy to say the least. Until near the end of his life, I only saw him cry one time and that was when I was leaving for Harding University as a junior and I have no idea what caused that emotion. He was a PhD  who found humor in the dumbest stuff- he loved the short lived television show, Fernwood 2-Night which was as silly as they get. He had a diversity of interests and even though he was never played sports, he became a Cardinals/Rams/Huskers and of course, York Duke fan. Just when I thought I had him figured out, I would be surprised. 

When I coached in Tennessee, my folks lived in St. Louis. Our moves actually coincided as their move from Lubbock, Texas came within a month or so of my move from south Georgia. It wasn't a bad drive so I'd and spend some time with the folks several times per year. During one of my visits, probably at Spring Break in 1987, Dad and I went to a movie in some long forgotten Missouri theater. The thing that is weird is that the movie was weird. as odd as any flick I've ever seen. It was True Stories, a film by the band Talking Heads. How would I describe the Talking Heads? Not really punk or new wave or avant garde but just different with a lot of talent, fronted by David Byrne. They had a few notable hits like Burning Down The House (linked below) and And She Was (also linked below) but it never appeared they chased commercial success. The movie was just kind of some strung together skits and one terrific song, Wild Wild Life. Why did we pick that movie to see? Maybe it was the only matinee or it was a convenient time or maybe I had heard of it- I have no idea. Do I think my dad had any real interest in the movie or the Talking Heads? Not one chance in a thousand- I can't make it impossible because like I stated, Dad could surprise us. But I only remember it because it wasn't about a movie- it was about being with me. Dad didn't care about the Talking Heads- he cared about talking to me.

I've always liked that old hymn, My God And I, which always sounds better when performed by a chorus. I love the line, 'We walk and talk as good friends should and do.' The point of the song is that the Lord has time for me; He wants to spend time with me. Imagine the person/persons you cannot wait to see and be with and then multiply it times a billion because our Father doesn't do anything half way. And He desires that relationship with everyone and it's available to anyone willing to be His child. Dad wasn't perfect and no dad is perfect but I never doubted he loved me.... or my siblings. And he loved being with his kids. One of the best things our parents can give us is time and when they get old, that's maybe the best thing we can give back. We can't do that anymore with our father but some of you still can. With theaters still closed, a movie might be a ways off. Maybe a phone call or a visit or a walk outside are still feasible for you. The time will come when there is no more time.

Applicable quote of the day, # 1:
Sometimes it's a form of love just to talk to somebody that you have nothing in common with and still be fascinated by their presence.
David Byrne, The Talking Heads

Applicable quote of the day, # 2:
Occasionally, I hanker for the time when I sold more records, but I don't sit and drool about it. When I do look at early footage of Talking Heads, I realize I was just a wreck.
David Byrne, The Talking Heads

To watch and listen to Burning Down The House, click or copy/paste the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3eC35LoF4U

To watch and listen to And She Was, click or copy/paste the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl3B_FTDKD0

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

No comments: