Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Waiting At The Corner Of Portal And Fondren


I'm a creature of habit. Ninety per cent of the times when I depart my apartment,  my destination is one of two places within a half mile of each other meaning I travel the same path every day of the year. (The locations are my fitness club and the site of my school/church building.) When I leave my place at 5:30 AM to work out, I drive straight out of the gate and up a block to Fondren Road where I make a left hand turn at a stop sign. Any other time of day or night on this journey, I make a left turn on Braesridge Drive instead and take a right onto Portal Drive at the next corner. It's a short block to Fondren from there, past the homes of two of my favorite former students. I'm almost always caught at the stoplight there at the corner of Portal and Fondren, and sometimes for what seems like more than a minute.  It still is a better choice than making a left handed unprotected turn across a busy street merging with another busy street which is what happens with my first option. I've spent untold hours sitting at this corner over the past twenty-two years.

Here's something I discovered about six months ago while idling my Honda Fit, waiting for the light to turn green. I heard a voice or what sounded like a voice. I may have rolled down the window or turned off the radio- I'm not sure. But when I listened, I heard it again. There was a one word message:
'Wait.'
It wasn't loud or obnoxious but it was persistent and consistent, speaking every five seconds or so. It came from the crossing signal which I'd only paid attention to when wondering how many seconds until I continue my trek to teach or coach or workout or worship. Over the intervening months, I've often listened to make sure it is still acting as a watchman (sounds like a male voice!) to those who lack the patience to do what is both prudent and commanded by the traffic ordinances. Part of me kind of wants to drive the block and a half from my residence in the middle of the night to see if it's still on guard even when the world is sleeping. I have no doubt it is.

While this might seem like just an illustration, it has significance to me. You see, that intersection is dangerous. People coming on Fondren often try to beat the light and I've almost been hit more times than I can recall. (Here is where I need to confess I've tried to beat that yellow light myself when I'm going home.) I now am very cautious when turning left onto Fondren. An extra several seconds could save me, and a stranger in another car, from a catastrophe.

I'm not good at waiting. Sure, I can quote Isaiah 40:31 as many of you can:
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. (KJV)
But quoting and living, knowing and doing are two different animals. I have my own timetable and often usually always place it strategically ahead of  the Lord's. I wish I was more like Jacob who waited (and worked) seven yeas to marry Rachel but it seemed like only scant days to him because he loved her so much. Instead, I'm more like Saul (Jacob's descendant) who wouldn't wait for the prophet Samuel to make a sacrifice and thus, lost his kingdom. Our Father in Heaven knew about the Civil War before Lincoln and the Great Depression before FDR. But, I've got stuff to do! There are skills our team needs to learn and our 8th grade Talents Project is on hold. And, my Vietnam trip is up in the air, to put it mildly, and we need to get those change bank bottles with their pennies to help the kids in Haiti and Honduras! 
But then, I remember Micah saying;
But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me. (Micah 7:7)
And I remember David writing:
 I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. 
(Psalm 40:1)
And then I recall Jesus telling His brothers,
My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. (John 7:6)
And when I bring those thoughts back to memory, I have a better concept of 
our loving Father's reassurance in Psalm 46:10,
Be still, and know that I am God.
Maybe that's just what that traffic signal has been trying to tell me all along!

*Picture at top is courtesy of Fine Art America*

Applicable quote of the day:
“There are times when you cannot understand why you cannot do what you want to do. When God brings the blank space, see that you do not fill it in, but wait. The blank space may come in order to teach you what sanctification means; or it may come after sanctification to teach you what service means. Never run before God’s guidance. If there is the slightest doubt, then He is not guiding. Whenever there is doubt—don’t.”
― Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1
E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org


No comments: