Monday, March 16, 2020

The $125,000 Question


It's Spring Break 2020, a week long anticipated break from school that is unfolding much differently than any other in US history. I've got a list of stuff to do- dentist appointment, new license plates, IRONING- so it's a working vacation for me in some sense as it is for most educators. One thing that's consistent is that I still go to Chancellor's Fitness Center, near both my apartment and school, twice per day. The main difference is that my PM  workout comes earlier than normal. This afternoon, I had finished on the treadmill, had taken my shower and dressed when I ran across a guy I've known casually as a fellow member for a decade. He asked about school and I told him we were out this week and would be online next. Then, he asked me a question I've never been asked that I recall:
"What's a guy like you make? $125,000 a year?"

Now, I didn't consider him nosy, just curious and I took zero offense. I laughed and told him that was just SLIGHTLY higher than my pay grade. From now on, though, I'll associate him with that query!

Over the years, I've asked my students in class how many think athletes/actors/actresses/models/musicians are overpaid and most hands go up. But when I ask. "How many of your parents make too much money?", there's no similar response. I do know this. Longevity tends to increase compensation so I make much more than when I began my career in the classroom and on the field/court. In school, pay may be calculated by observation or surveys. I have no dog in this fight but I'm not sure I would evaluate teachers based on standardized testing alone, if at all. You might make a case for contract amount for entertainers based on revenue of their movies/TV shows/album sales or professional athletes using the increasingly complicated statistics available... but I'm guessing those can be skewed in either sides' favor. But teachers? We know that Jesus was often referred to as teacher as well as rabbi, a synonym for teacher. That's pretty solid company! In Luke 6:40, Jesus tells us this: “The student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher” (Luke 6:40).
My best argument for compensation? Six of my former WCS students are full time employees of Westbury Christian School (as well as the daughter of two former students of mine!) They make me proud because they do a terrific job and exhibit the characteristics the Savior would want us to possess. They are growing daily and making an eternal difference in the lives of of our student body. I would say that would make me underpaid even at $125,000! Oh well, we're laying up treasures in heaven, not at Chase Bank. But I have some excellent assets in my career portfolio!

Applicable quote of the day:
You can pay people to teach, but you can’t pay them to care. 
Marva Collins 

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org




No comments: