Thursday, August 08, 2019

Reminder In Blue



I'm not going to lie- I had a tough morning. When I climbed into my car at 5:38 AM, I noticed my tire pressure light was on, not unusual for a car which had sat idle during my thirty-two day mission to Vietnam. I had a decent 40 minute treadmill workout, my first since July 2, but I could tell I was off. We had a terrific inservice devotional followed by a good curriculum/discipline meeting for our upper school faculty. But when we were released to work in our rooms, things fell apart for me. Our grade/homework/communication system which I could navigate with my eyes closed completely changed their format and I could not find the lesson plans I've used for the past twenty-one years at WCS. Then, our computers were swapped out over the summer and after changing the password yesterday, I found I was locked out of my account. When that was resolved, I suddenly could not access all my files, meaning the entirety of my quizzes/notes/tests were nowhere to be found. I spent fifteen minutes trying to figure it out and got nowhere. I did something uncharacteristic for me. I slammed my palm down hard on my desk, walked down to the office, and told one of my bosses, Gracie Greer I needed to go home even though it wasn't quite lunch time. Gracie, who yesterday told me to go home and sleep, agreed and I made the four minute drive back to my apartment.

There's a reason I was what I hope isn't my true self. Forty eight hours before, I had been mid air and I went forty eight hours without sleeping. In the interim, sleep has been fitful and I've began waking up disoriented, something not uncommon for my re-entry. Our administrators are gracious about letting me miss the first two days of inservice and I know it's going to be emotionally and  physically gut wrenching coming back to a job I love dearly, even though I know I'll be OK in a day or two. And after attempting a nap and eating, and praying, I came back to work at 1 PM with a better attitude. Things fell into place and this afternoon was wonderful! Stuff clicked, my brain was sharper, my understanding of some processes was heightened. I'm almost looking forward to tomorrow- almost. I'll get back to where I need to be but it's going to require some patience with myself and maybe some patience from others as well.


You probably noticed the picture at the top of the page. The two toys were gifts from sisters Ngan and Thuy the day I left. I had orders not to open them until I was in the USA and I obeyed. After lunch, I placed them on my desk where they will reside during the school year. Last week, I paid them and their cousin, My', a small amount of money to do some work for me. They didn't want to be paid; I told them they had to take it and if they wanted,  they should do something nice for someone.  Guess who they chose? They don't have much but they spent it on me. Each year of the six they've graced my trip, I've left with a homemade gift. That's the second picture, taken in 2014. I'm not sure why they love me but they cry when I leave. When I sit back and consider how blessed I am to  have kids like these two in my life and too many others to list here, what's a little frustration? Proof that I have a job and a good life? Proof that I matter to someone when much of the world makes do without much affirmation? In Genesis, God makes the point that we are made in His image. His image isn't whiny or complaining. He is love and that love sustains us, magnificently exhibited in His son, Jesus Christ and the ultimate gift He gave. So for the next nine months, I'll have a constant reminder someone loves me. I know I shouldn't need any such assurance but it makes some days bearable. Like today.

Applicable quote of the day: 
What I see in the Bible, especially in the book of Psalms, which is a book of gratitude for the created world, is a recognition that all good things on Earth are God's, every good gift is from above. They are good if we recognize where they came from and if we treat them the way the Designer intended them to be treated.
Philip Yancey


God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

E-mail me at shawley@westburychristian.org

1 comment:

Ron and Pat Brown's Adventures in Asia said...

Glad you made the trip to bring joy to a bunch of kids who cannot help but love you. The return home is always very difficult but you'll be over it soon. God bless you!