Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Eleanor Rigby And The Guy In The Snack Aisle At Wal-Mart



Two weeks ago on a Sunday night, I was doing some shopping at the nearby WAL-MART for some groceries. It wasn't my normal time to be there but we were having  a review for a Bible 8 test the next morning and sometimes I surprise the kids, who volunteer to come, with snacks. It was one of those times so after evening services, I found myself in the popcorn and trail mix aisle. My usual Sunday PM wardrobe consists of jeans, running shoes, and a t shirt.  That night, I was wearing one of our WCS middle school retreat shirts. Out of the blue, a very nice gentleman stopped me and started a conversation about my attire. I told him it was from my school and when he asked, I told him Westbury Christian. At first, I thought I must know him but I didn't. He began asking me questions about preachers on the radio, most of whom I knew nothing about. We spoke for about a minute or two and then went our separate ways. After my necessary items were picked up, I paid my bill- proud I've learned to use the self check out- and walked to my car. Guess who was parked next to me, almost done unloading his groceries? My new friend. He remarked how he had a Toyota and me a Honda- I told him of my good experience with a Corolla. He shared a few more things about stuff on the radio and it was time to go our separate ways. I'm not even sure now with more than fifteen days in the interim that I would recognize him by sight but I'm sure it will be a long time before I forget his last words as we were leaving. As I crawled into my car, he said,  "Thanks for talking to me."

You know, I'm an introvert and sometimes I have to force myself to converse, especially with strangers. But I've never thanked anyone for simply speaking to me. People talk to me all the time and often, when it interferes with my work. But speaking is my work and I never lack for conversations; before school, after school, in the hall, in the cafeteria, at lunch, in practice, at ball games, at worship services, in the snack section at the grocery store. I could be very wrong here, and I often misread situations, but I've wondered if someone might be very lonely to say thanks for merely interacting. I'm blessed in ways I don't really appreciate in the matter of constant company. I've always been haunted by The Beatles' ode to sadness, Eleanor Rigby:
 
All the lonely people, where do they all come from?
All the lonely people, where do they all belong?


A study of the Gospels reveals that Jesus was not just the master of the seas and the thought provoking parable. His ministry touched many who likely had few friends; the sick and possessed, the unclean and foreign-born. His apostles wanted to keep Him to themselves but the Eleanor Rigbys of the first century were lonely in a time where you couldn't act connected through the ever present phone or social media. Our world at large longs for actual human contact while we who feel overly contacted often long for the respite of our temporary solitude. We just don't know how good we have it.

Applicable quote of the day:
The eternal quest of the individual human being is to shatter his loneliness.
Norman Cousins


To listen to Eleanor Rigby, copy/paste the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbxTlxuECJA

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com


No comments: