Sunday, February 24, 2019

10,000 Reasons


If you are a regular reader, you might recall that my brother and sister in law presented me with a FITBIT this past Christmas! Although it has taken some used to, I've worn it every day since. I've had some issues with being able to get sleep readings on my laptop as it was designed to do but that's not a big deal. What it has done is make me aware of moving around, especially during my two planning periods at school. I don't check it much except for the end of the day. I guess it's like jewelry- the longer you wear it, the less you notice.

But, as usual, I've got a story. You see, my FITBIT is designed to notify me when I take my 10,000th step of the day. It vibrates and the screen lights up with fireworks. Here's the weird thing. On four of the last six school days, the FITBIT buzzed me as I was about to enter Chancellor's Family Center right after school. Each wrist-borne celebration occurred within I would estimate a span of fifty feet. What are the odds of that? My guess is that it is extremely remote. Here's the thing- after 1st period, I rarely check with my step monitor and on the rare times I do, it's to look at my heart rate. I have no idea where I stand (pun?) from 9 AM on and yet, I'm as regular almost as an atomic clock and certainly more precise than the clocks in our school.... but that's another matter entirely!

I'm not sure exactly how to process this oddity in my life. Am I utterly predictable and boring? Maybe I'm simply consistent and pattern my day to its best possible use. Maybe there is a spiritual application? In Jeremiah 10:23. from the Berean Study Bible, we see that,
I know, O LORD, that a man’s way is not his own; no one who walks directs his own steps.
And maybe I'm too concerned with the accumulation than the individual merit and importance of each stride. In the chorus of his marvelous hymn, T.J. Shelton adds in the components of faith and hope:
“One step at a time, dear Savior,
Till faith grows stronger in Thee;
One step at a time, dear Savior,
Till hope grows stronger in me.”

By tying the physical nature with the spiritual dimension, maybe I can program my feet to do the will of the Lord rather than simply insure bodily fitness by worldly standards. You might recall the footprints of Jesus (that) make the pathway glow. That's a pretty good path for me to follow throughout the day!

Applicable quote of the day:
“Lots of small steps equates to a giant leap.” 
 Steven Magee

God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1

www.hawleybooks.com
E-mail me at steve@hawleybooks.com

No comments: