Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Star



I'm not quite sure when it began but it probably had something to do wth Sydney and Lizeth, who played on my basketball team for three years in middle school. You see, the beginning of basketball season coincides with the start of Christmas music on the radio! Since my team carpools and has for close to two decades now, I spend a number of afternoons with 6-7-8 grade girls rising to games at schools called AWTY International and St. Mark's Episcopal and Lutheran South Academy. I've always let the kids who ride with me choose the radio station with the caveat that any music had to be free of both profanity and innuendo. But a number of seasons ago, it became all Christmas music all the time around Thanksgiving on game days. And it's now a tradition. This season, I have Faith, Kailyn, and Piper as the roundball passengers and they may love the Yule genre more than any previous squad. I've found myself listening to that station (99.1) even in my Honda Fit by myself. You hear the same songs repeatedly but at least by a number of different artists!

Two weeks ago today, my mom's family gathered in Nashville Arkansas for the funeral of our beloved Aunt Jerry. In the  AM service at a country congregation, the song leader led us in the hymn Beautiful Star Of Bethlehem. I had never been in a worship where it was sung before. I had heard it before on a cassette tape by the incomparable Emmylou Harris. It differs from much of what we call Christmas carols in that it's about the birth of Jesus with no mention of snowmen or mistletoe or pumpkin pie or presents. It's Biblical and simple and evocative of the birth of the Christ. It's not majestic like Silent Night or Oh Come All Ye Faithful but it has its own place in my Hall of Fame of Christmas music. It's almost always sung as a country song which makes since as it was penned in rural Tennessee about seven decades ago. It also hasn't made the rounds of FM round the clock seasonal tunes but maybe it's best saved for a more somber reflection of the redemption story. That leaves room for I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus which doesn't have theological depth but at least it's a story of a happy family. And come to think of it, that's a pretty good holiday theme, too.

To listen to Emmylou Harris sing Beautiful Star Of Bethlehem, click or copy/paste the link below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqI4lKG2P1Q


Applicable quote of the day:


No comments: